Walkinshaw Branch Junction

Location type


Names and dates

Boghead Junction [CR] (1883-1902)
Walkinshaw Branch Junction (1902-1936)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.

Opened on the Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway.
Opened on the Paisley and Barrhead District Railway.


This was the northern of a triangle of lines at Walkinshaw. The junction allowed a train from the Barrhead direction to join the Greenock line. The Caledonian Railway's plan was to create a route fully owned by the CR between Greenock and Glasgow via Barrhead and Cathcart via the Paisley and Barrhead District Railway. It was redundant after the grouping of 1923 which brought the CR and Glasgow and South Western Railway into the single ownership of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway.

This was a double track junction.

There was a connection to a loop, which prior to 1902 served the Inkerman Oil Works, Walkinshaw Brick Works and an extensive mineral line (Walkinshaw Ironstone Pits). That had had a connection from the north. The signal box, closed with the remodelling of 1902, was on the east side of the original junction.

With the new junction a train from Barrhead could run into the loop without fouling the junction.

The oil works closed in the 1890s.

The junction remained in place in the 1930s, although it was disconnected at Walkinshaw South Junction from 1922 and was removed by the 1950s. The box closed in 1936.




Walkinshaw Junction


Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)

The Paisley & Barrhead District Railway