Walkinshaw South Junction

Location type


Name and dates

Walkinshaw South Junction (1905-1923)

Opened on the Paisley and Barrhead District Railway.


There was a triangle of lines at Walkinshaw. At this junction the line from St James Junction met the line from Walkinshaw Branch Junction. The junction opened in 1905.

This was originally a double track junction. The short lines from the north and east were both double track and the line continued south to Ferguslie as a single track, although there was a long siding on the east side, perhaps preparation for future doubling. The signal box was north of the junction.

In the 1930s the curve from Walkinshaw Branch Junction remained in place, but severed at this junction (the curve had closed in 1922).

The signal box closed in 1923 when the line from Paisley St James was singled.

In the 1960s, this was the west end of a loop which started from the single lead junction at St James Junction. The northern track may have still been in place, only a siding.

By the later 1960s the loop from St James Junction had been lifted.

The line closed in 1984, latterly it had provided access to Pressed Steel Co Ltd, alongside the Linwood Car Plant.




The Paisley & Barrhead District Railway