Opened on the Paisley and Barrhead District Railway.
This island platform station was completed but never opened. The line was completed in 1905 and opened to goods only. A station building was built and there was a signal box to the south of it on the platform.
To the north the line passed under the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway and to the south the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway) passed over the south end of the island platform. A branch ran north west to the Ferguslie Fireclay Works and just south of this was the Chain Road Goods branch, access to this being by reversal from the fireclay branch.
Ferguslie Fireclay Works was already served by a GSW branch, but it was awkward requiring a couple of reversals. After 1923 the Caledonian route was retained only.
The line was built as a single track with a loop at the station. The northbound line was lifted first.
The mound of the platform can still be detected and the pylon which was erected on the site of the northbound track is still in place. Both the line to the bridges to the north and south have been infilled and the Canal line is now a walkway.
Paisley St James
Paisley Canal [1st]
Paisley Gilmour Street
Paisley Hamilton Street
Johnstone North [2nd]
Johnstone North [1st]
Other railway and industry locations
Blythswood Chemical Works
Chain Road Goods
Ferguslie Fire Clay Works
Pressed Steel Co Ltd
Canal Junction [Elderslie]
Ferguslie Chemical Siding
Abercorn Pit No 3 (Ironstone)
Linwood Car Plant
Ferguslie Thread Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|