Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway

Introduction

This line is open, except between Dalry and Kilmarnock, and a short section in Troon.

The line was extended from Kilmarnock to Old Cumnock to meet a line approaching from Carlisle. The line formed the core of what was later to become the Glasgow and South Western Railway.



Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Paisley to Dalry Junction

This was originally a double track station. The original station featured a very tall wooden signal box on stilts.
...

More details
Tartan, famous local names and landmarks along with EMU 380011 are on display in the underpass to greet visitors to Paisley Gilmour Street. ...
Colin McDonald 22/12/1997
314213, in SPT livery and now some 38 years old, calls right time at Paisley Gilmour Street on a service for Gourock on 7th August 2017. These ...
Colin Miller 07/08/2017
No, not one from the archives but a shot of a Gourock to Glasgow service at Gilmour Street on 17 October 2018. Scrapping of Class 314s should surely ...
David Panton 17/10/2018
Gourock bound 334017 entering Paisley Gilmour Street ...
Graham Morgan 12/09/2006



Looking to Elderslie East Junction, the trackbed now part of the cycle path network ...
Graham Morgan 04/05/2007
Elderslie looking north, taken from the stump of the old station overbridge. The canal line came in from the right. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
A picture that speaks volumes about changes from manufacturing to service industries, and about automotive traffic on the railways of Britain and ...
Ken Strachan 14/07/2015
Elderslie East Junction viewed from the just lifted Paisley Canal Line. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This station opened after the Bridge of Weir branch and before the Paisley Canal line, initially with 2 platforms and later expanded to four around the time of the Kilbarchan Loop opening - thus providing a quadruple route from Dalry to St Enoch.
...

More details
66410 at WH Malcolm, Elderslie to collect freight ...
Graham Morgan 04/05/2007
Collecting freight at WH Malcolms freight terminal at Elderslie for movement to Grangemouth. Here a 40 foot ISO box is being lowered onto a freight ...
Graham Morgan 16/10/2006
Construction work continuing at the WH Malcolm Elderslie depot, here a water tanker is at work keeping the dust down ...
Graham Morgan 04/05/2007
DRS Class 66 66410 collecting freight at WH Malcolms freight terminal at Elderslie for movement to Grangemouth. ...
Graham Morgan 16/10/2006

40689 diverging at Elderslie No 2 Junction on 5 May 1959 with a train for Kilmarnock via Kilbirnie. Elderslie station stands in the left background. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 05/05/1959
At Elderslie West Junction looking west where the line went downhill and under the main line at the fly under so trains to Kilmacolm wouldnt foul the ...
Graham Morgan 16/07/2008

66182 at Elderslie en route to Hunterston with empty coal wagons on 16th September ...
Graham Morgan 16/09/2009
66605 with a train of empty coal hoppers from Leeds bound for Hunterston on 16th July ...
Graham Morgan 16/07/2008
334030 just to the west of the Elderslie loop and WH Malcolm depot with a service for Ayr on 20th May ...
Graham Morgan 20/05/2008
334036 passing through Elderslie on 2nd December as it slows on it's approach to Johnstone station ...
Graham Morgan 02/12/2010


This is a two platform station. The station has no car park and serves the Milliken Park area.
...

More details
View west over Milliken Park station, Renfrewshire, on 17 June 2007. ...
John Furnevel 17/06/2007
334004 at the head of a two unit set with a service for Ayr approaching Milliken Park station ...
Graham Morgan 31/03/2008
334 012 with a Glasgow Central - Largs service calls at Milliken Park on 20 August. ...
David Panton 20/08/2008
Glasgow - Ayr Express. Stanier 4.6.0 5179. Passing Milliken Park. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow //1939

This is a modern minimal two platform station north of Howwood itself. The station re-opened in 2003. There is a small car park between the line and the A737.
...

More details
History poster at Howwood, 'The Beetling Machines of Howwood'. ...
John Yellowlees 24/03/2017
What is this mysterious red pole at Howwood?

...
John Yellowlees 24/03/2017
Howwood station under construction in 2000. The view looks south. This was opened on the site of the station which opened in 1876 and closed in 1955. ...
Ewan Crawford //
View looking south over Howwood station under construction. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This is a two platform station 3/4 of a mile south east of the town of Lochwinnoch. It is a modern minimal station with a car park. Barr Loch is to the west and Castle Semple to the north. 'Loch Winnoch' may have referred to the area before drainage created the two lochs.
...

More details
380010 hurries through Lochwinnoch with a Glasgow Central to Ardrossan Harbour service in the evening of 31 August 2018. The photo was taken from a ...
John McIntyre 31/08/2018
An all-stations Ayr - Glasgow Central train calls at Lochwinnoch on 14 May 2014. ...
Colin Miller 14/05/2014
Colourful platform display at Lochwinnoch, photographed on 14 July 2015. ...
John Yellowlees 14/07/2015
The 14.30 Glasgow Central - Ayr dashes through Lochwinnoch at high speed on 14 May. This train's first stop will be at Kilwinning and the end to end ...
Colin Miller 14/05/2014

This was a two platform station with the main building on the up platform. There was a goods yard at the north end, west side and approached from the north.
...

More details
BR Standard tank 80000 at Beith North in the summer of 1959 at the head of a Glasgow - Largs express. [Ref query 986] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 14/07/1959
A Class 107 DMU, Glasgow - bound at Beith North in 1986. At least the first car is a 107 - by this time the dmus were on their last legs and some ...
Colin Miller //1986
Jubilee 45645 Collingwood passing the site of Beith North station on 14 July 1959 with a Glasgow - Ayr express. [Ref query 5365] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 14/07/1959
BR light Pacific 72009 Clan Stewart near Beith in July 1959 with a St Enoch - Stranraer express. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 14/07/1959


This junction was taken out in 1937.
...

More details

This junction provided the final connection for Glengarnock Steel Works before closure. It also provided access to the second goods yard built for Glengarnock station.
...

More details

This is a two platform station with an original building on the northbound platform. ...

More details
Standard class 5 4-6-0 73104 with a St Enoch - Largs train north of Glengarnock the summer of 1959. [Ref query 1115] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 14/07/1959
A 380 with an afternoon service to Ayr calls at Glengarnock on 22/10/2016. You'll have to imagine the autumn smell of brown leaves. ...
David Panton 22/10/2016
A 6-car 334 service for Glasgow Central calls at Glengarnock on 2 Sepember 2009. ...
David Panton 02/09/2009
Class 2P 4-4-0 40688 calls at Glengarnock on 14 July 1959 with a train for Kilmarnock. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 14/07/1959


Black 5 45007 with an up freight near Brownhill Junction in the summer of 1955. [Ref query 3 August 2018] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 27/07/1955
Timing is everything ... tricky to catch the front of a fast moving train through this narrow opening. The bridge in the foreground is the former ...
Ewan Crawford 28/09/2017
A view from the former southbound flyover line at Brownhill Junction. For a dissimilar view [see image 24136] which was taken further north on the ...
Ewan Crawford 28/09/2017
The Kilbarchan line merging with the GPK&AR line at Brownhill junction. Some ballast remained on the closed route. The line was quadruple from here to ...
Ewan Crawford //1987



Originally Kersland Junction (the mileage of the Swinlees Branch was measured from Kersland Junction). It then became Carsehead and Swinlees Branch Junction (as shown on the Railway Clearing House map).
...

More details
Swinlees Junction, just north of Dalry, now serves a Roche plant, it formerly served a coalmin further north. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
Swinlees Junction looking north. The Dalry Roche plant is out of sight to the left. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
A southbound service passing Swinlees Junction in 1999. The line to the left runs to the Roche Works near Dalry. By the junction is a remaining part ...
Ewan Crawford //1999




This is a two platform station.
...

More details
A planter at Dalry station within the adopted station garden. ...
John Yellowlees 25/03/2018
Passengers board a northbound 380 in bright evening light. ...
Ewan Crawford 14/09/2017
A non stop service comes south through Dalry. Off to the right some hares are having a party. ...
Ewan Crawford 14/09/2017
On display at Dalry station. I believe I've seen these photographs somewhere before ... ...
Ewan Crawford 14/09/2017






Dalry Junction to Ayr


This signal box was located just north of the viaduct over the River Garnock, not far north of Kilwinning and south of Dalry Junction. ...

More details
A 380 heads north at Dalgarven. The view looks west from the disused River Garnock Viaduct of the former Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway. ...
Ewan Crawford 14/09/2017
A Derby dmu heading for Largs, photographed at Dalgarven, north of Kilwinning, in June 1969. ...
Colin Miller /06/1969
Up van train behind an unidentified EE Type 3 passing Dalgarven, just north of Kilwinning, in the spring of 1969. ...
Colin Miller //1969
Name board from Dalgarven Signal Box (1889-1968) preserved by Dalgarven Mill after being rescued from the river where it was dumped in the rubble ...
John Yellowlees 22/01/2016


This is a four platform station with two platforms on the Ardrossan Harbour / Largs branch and two platforms on the line south to Ayr. There was an extensive goods yard on the west side, approached from the north, but this is reduced to a pair of civil engineer sidings.
...

More details
First stop for a Glasgow to Ayr service on 17 October 2018. Platform lighting is being replaced, but the longer term plan is to transform (ruin?) the ...
David Panton 17/10/2018
An 'Access for All' display detailing the planned improvements at Kilwinning station in October 2018.
...
John Yellowlees 23/10/2018
Looking north at Kilwinning Junction. Ardrossan line to left and mainline to Ayr to right. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
An SPT liveried class 318 EMU arriving at a very quiet Kilwinning platform 2 on 3rd May 2007 forming a Glasgow Central - Largs service. ...
John Furnevel 03/05/2007


This signal box controlled the approach to the Eglinton Iron Works from the north, Kilwinning, direction. From the junction, the branch line ran south and on the east side of the before dropping and turning east to serve the iron works. ...

More details

A 380 at Byrehill Junction. The view is to the east. The mineral line to Stobbs Junction passed from left to right in this view. ...
Ewan Crawford 14/09/2017
Southbound 380 just south of Byrehill Junction and rainbow. ...
Ewan Crawford 07/09/2017
Looking south east towards Byrehill Junction on 4 April 1959 as Crab 2-6-0 42808 takes the route north towards Kilwinning with a train from Ayr ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 04/04/1959
Standard Mogul 77015 at Byrehill Junction on 4 April 1959 with an Ardrossan - Kilmarnock train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 04/04/1959

This is a double track three arch viaduct. The viaduct has also been known as the Eglintown (sic) Viaduct and the Eglinton Viaduct. ...

More details
A southbound 380 crosses the River Garnock with Kilwinning in the background and the Bartonholm marsh in the foreground. The distant tower belongs to ...
Ewan Crawford 17/08/2017


Still in use in 1984 with a daily return trip to Falkland Yard. BR vans. Worked by Class 20.
...

More details

This was the junction for the Bartonholm Coal Pit No 1 branch. This was later adapted to become the Snodgrass Branch which served the portion of ICI east of the River Garnock. ...

More details
380020 passes the site of Bogside Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford 17/08/2017
In a forest stands a buffer. This is the stub of the Snodgrass (Bogside) branch now cut back to close to the junction. The view looks to the junction. ...
Ewan Crawford 17/08/2017
On tour. 5Z74; a sleeper coach and 73970 en route from Kilmarnock Works to Polmadie. View looking west. The floodlighting is for a recycling centre. ...
Ewan Crawford 17/08/2017


This was a two platform station to the west of Bogside Race Course. Bogside Golf Club House (now Irvine Golf club) was built on the west side.
...

More details


This is a two platform station. The station has a mixture of old and new buildings. The line is raised and station entry is one floor below the track level. There is a surviving original station building. The building on the southbound platform bears a strange resemblance to Highland Railway station buildings such as that at Ardgay. The building on the northbound platform is different in style ...

More details
Welcome to Irvine - see adjacent news item. ...
John Yellowlees 29/08/2012
A Saturday St Enoch - Darvel train restarts from the Irvine stop on 4 July 1959. In charge is one of Hurlford shed's 2P 4-4-0s no 40645. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 04/07/1959
Northbound Freightliner 66509 heading to the south (via Shields Junction) through Irvine working 6E06 Killoch to York Yard South on 15 August - an ...
Ken Browne 15/08/2016
View from a special passing Irvine signal box on 31 August 1985. The train was operating as part of an open day taking place at British Rail's Ayr ...
Bill Roberton 31/08/1985


The mobile crane at Irvine Harbour alongside track remaining from the Irvine Harbour branch of the GPK&AR. View east towards Irvine in 1998. In the ...
Ewan Crawford //1998
Peter Ovenstone, Chairman of the Railway Heritage Committee presents the painting Kyles of Bute by Alasdair MacFarlane, on behalf of owner BRB ...
Scottish Maritime Museum 08/04/2010


380 106 approaches Gailes level crossing, south of Irvine, with an Ayr-Glasgow Central service. Gailes Station was situated to the rear of the train ...
Bill Roberton 09/02/2016

This is a two platform station on the Glasgow-Ayr route.
...

More details
DBS 66089 forms the diverted 0R79 Mossend - Falkland through Barassie on 7 January. ...
Ken Browne 07/01/2016
A view northwards of Barassie station, from the footbridge, on 31st August 2018. The single track to Kilmarnock can just be seen on the right. ...
John McIntyre 31/08/2018
DRS 37609+37607 working the diverted 6M22 south through Barassie from Hunterston LL to Sellafield on 7 January 2016. This train normally runs via ...
Ken Browne 07/01/2016
380012 enters Barassie on 29 September with a Glasgow Central - Ayr stopper. ...
Bill Roberton 29/09/2014

Freightliner 66551 on 4S06 York Holgate to Hunterston empty HHAs on 20 January. The train was unusually diverted via the G&SW line rather than the ...
Ken Browne 20/01/2012
37610 on 0z89, the Barclay yard to Motherwell. ...
Ken Browne 23/09/2016
DBS 66130 taking the Kilmarnock line at Barassie on 29 September having run round on the former Troon avoiding line, with the Ayr main line to the ...
Bill Roberton 29/09/2014
37610 coming round the curve (on the re-aligned Kilmarnock and Troon) at Barassie Junction. ...
Ken Browne 23/09/2016

The caption on the reverse of this undated British Railways PR&PO photograph
...
PR&PO British Railways (Douglas Blades Collection) //1966

The second station in Troon was opened on the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway. It was a two platform station with a goods yard north of the station on the west side, approached from the north. The main station building was on the northbound platform. (Troon [1st] station was located by the harbour to the west and was the terminus of the Kilmarnock and Troon Railway).
...

More details
The 12.30pm Glasgow St Enoch - Stranraer express about to run through the site of the original Troon station on 4 July 1959. Locomotive is Jubilee ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 04/07/1959
57581 calls at Troon Old station with an excursion. ...
Bill Hamilton 14//
72005 Clan MacGregor passing Troon old station with the Glasgow Salkeld Street to Carlisle parcels train in July 1962. Marr College school is ...
Bill Hamilton /07/1962
D76 passing Troon Old Station with the morning freight from Polmadie mineral sidings to Falkland yard Ayr. 1960. ...
Bill Hamilton //1960

Hurlford class 2P 4-4-0 40597 passing Lochgreen Junction on 28 March 1959 at the head of a Dalmellington - Kilmarnock train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 28/03/1959
D7615 approaching Lochgreen Junction in 1967 with a pick-up freight for Falkland yard, Ayr ...
Bill Hamilton //1967
Approaching Lochgreen Junction on 5 August 1955 is one of Hurlford shed's class 2P 4-4-0s no 40687 at the head of a Glasgow St Enoch - Girvan train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 05/08/1955
Looking north towards Troon (Old) station and onwards to Barassie along the Troon avoiding line from the bridge carrying Craigend (formerly Fullarton) ...
Robert Blane 29/10/1982

This was a two platform station to the west of Monkton itself. The Station Road between the two has been re-routed with the construction of Prestwick Airport's runway. There was a goods yard on the east side, approached from the north, or from the south via a reversing spur. The main station building was on the east side.
...

More details
Corkerhill Jubilee 45720 Indomitable at speed near Monkton on 20 July 1959 with a Glasgow St Enoch - Stranraer express. [Ref query 1005] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/07/1959
57627 passes Monkton Signal Box in 1960 with a freight from Falkland Yard to Ardrossan. ...
Bill Hamilton //1960
The 10.36 Ayr - Glasgow Central about to pass the site of Monkton Station, just north of Prestwick, on 16 April 2015. Monkton station closed to ...
Colin Miller 16/04/2015
A St Enoch - Stranraer Boat Express runs south through Monkton on 20 July 1959 behind Fairburn 2-6-4T 42193. [Ref query 3 March 2018] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 20/07/1959


This is the Prestwick Oil Depot. ...

More details

This station was opened for Glasgow Prestwick Airport which is to the immediate east and connected to the station by a long elevated covered walkway.
...

More details
PIK has more fantouche departure screens than the standard, probably because it's not owned by a railway company. Photographed 1 October. ...
David Panton 01/10/2016
156 500 calls at what is now widely referred to as 'Glasgow Prestwick Airport' [see image 21551] with a Kilmarnock - Ayr service on 19 March 2010.
...
Bill Roberton 19/03/2010
View north over Prestwick Airport station showing the Rail/Air link bridge across the A79. ...
John Furnevel 3/05/2007
318 256 bound for Glasgow calls at Prestwick Airport in July 1997. ...
David Panton /07/1997

This is a two platform station with a pair of fine station buildings on each platform. The larger, on the southbound platform, has a long glass canopy on the platform site. The smaller, largely timber built, on the northbound platform, also has a canopy platform side.
...

More details
Splash of colour at Prestwick Town - see news item ...
First ScotRail /11/2011
A 6-car 318 arrives at Prestwick Town on 3 June with a service for Ayr. ...
David Panton 03/06/2010
A fine late summer day, and the canvassy smell of warm Ayrshire golf
...
David Panton 01/09/2010
SPT liveried ScotRail services formed by 318252 and 334036 pass at Prestwick Town on 3 May 2007 with north and southbound trains running between ...
John Furnevel 03/05/2007

This junction is to the north of Newton-on-Ayr station. Today it is where the lines of Falkland Yard fan out on either side of the line, particularly to the west on the approach to Ayr Harbour.
...

More details
Horwich Mogul 42879 runs through Falkland Junction on 4 July 1959 with a Glasgow - Ayr train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 04/07/1959
Black 5 45160 photographed just north of Falkland Junction on 6 August 1955 with an Ayr - Edinburgh Princes Street train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/08/1955
D60 Lytham St Annes and D8549 leave Falkland yard with a train for Polmadie Mineral Sidings. ...
Bill Hamilton 03/10/2018
A passing shot of Falkland Junction Signal Box on 31 August 1985. It had closed on 7 April that year as part of the Ayrshire electrification project. ...
Bill Roberton 31/08/1985


This was a terminus of the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway. The station was on the north bank of the River Ayr and close to the river.
...

More details
View south towards the terminus at the original Ayr station. For a view while the line was still open and in use as a goods depot see image 37055 ...
Ewan Crawford 07/09/2017
View north from the site of the first Ayr station, a terminus. This location later had a large goods shed. There is nothing to give away the former ...
Ewan Crawford 07/09/2017
View east on Waggon Road, the course of the former Ayr Waggonway. The line to the original Ayr terminus ran left to right in this view and there was a ...
Ewan Crawford 07/09/2017
The approach to the original Ayr station, seen from the north. Much of the site is built over and has new roads, as seen in the background. The ...
Ewan Crawford 07/09/2017

It would have been easier going across here before the girders were removed in 1978. Fish were taken from the fishing fleet and fuel oil for them ...
Colin Miller 20/03/2016
View north in December 2013 over the remains of the bridge which carried the branch to Ayr's south harbour. Taken from the terrace of The ...
Colin Miller 10/12/2013
Scene on the south side of Ayr harbour in September 1955 with TS Duchess of Hamilton berthed in her usual place. Built for the Caledonian Steam ...
A Snapper (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 09/09/1955




Dalry Junction to Kilmarnock and Cumnock


The viaduct carrying the L&A route from Kilbirnie Junction to Kilwinning East (closed 1953) over the closed GPK&A route from Dalry to Kilmarnock ...
Ewan Crawford //1996


This was a two platform station with the main building on the Kilmarnock bound platform. There was a goods yard on the north side, approached from the north west. Access to the yard was by a reversing spur, reversing from the Kilmarnock platform.
...

More details
The closed line between Dalry and Kilmarnock - looking towards Kilmarnock over the former Montgreenan station. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This station was 4 1/4 miles south west from Stewarton, considerably closer to Cunningham at about 1/2 a mile. It was a two platform station with the main building on the Kilmarnock bound platform. There was a goods yard on the north side, approached from the east.
...

More details

This station was immediately west of Busbie Junction. This was the junction between the 1843 Glasgow, Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway and its 1848 line to Irvine which provided an outlet for Ayrshire coal at Ardrossan and opened in the same year as the Galston branch, Muirkirk [1st] branch and the main line extended as far as Auchinleck.
...

More details
Crosshouse Junction looking to the former station. Directly behind the camera was a buffer stop. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
2P 4-4-0 40643 leaving Crosshouse on 6 June 1953 at the head of an Ardrossan - Kilmarnock train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1953
Irvine platforms at Crosshouse looking to Kilmarnock. The Dalry platforms were to the left and to the left of them the was the goods yard. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Crosshouse looking to Dalry. There were two platforms on the Irvine route (left) and two on the Dalry route (right). ...
Ewan Crawford //1988



From left to right; distllery headshunt, line from Barrhead, [and then in the trees] stub of line from Dalry, Long Lyes Sidings. ...
Ewan Crawford //2005
Looking to Kilmarnock along the course of the closed GPK&AR. ...
Ewan Crawford //2005
Kilmarnock; front to back; distillery line (out of sight), Barrhead line, Dalry line stub, Long Lyes Sidings, Workshops. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Looking to Kilmarnock along the course of the closed GPK&AR. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988

This was initially the terminus of the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway between 1843 and 1848, the site being roughly the same as the present Kilmarnock station.
...

More details

This is a four platform station with two bay platforms at the north end and two mainline platforms. There are three tracks between the main platforms. The bay platforms and northbound (down) platform are canopied.
...

More details
The South West Scotland Community Rail Partnership was launched today at Kilmarnock.

...
John Yellowlees 11/09/2017
37421 working a track inspection train at Kilmarnock with 37219. ...
John Yellowlees 02/08/2017
A new display in this showcase was nice to see in the underpass at Kilmarnock station. 28th March 2018.
...
John Yellowlees 28/03/2018
Detail of one of the panels in the Kilmarnock station underpass. Local railways are among the historical themes commemorated in the new look ...
John Yellowlees 02/12/2016


66205 (TO) at Kay Park Junction south of Kilmarnock with a loaded MGR
...
Colin Howat 01/11/2004
Stanier 8F 2-8-0 no 48708 passing Kay Park Junction, Kilmarnock, on 6 May 1954 with a down freight. [Ref query 71] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1954
Carlisle Kingmoor based Jubilee 4-6-0 no 45640 Frobisher passing Kay Park Junction on 6 May 1954 with a St Enoch - Dumfries train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1954
Approaching Kay Park Junction from the south is a 47 hauled Carlisle-Glasgow train. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988



Allan Gilmour and Co siding. ...

More details

This iron works was in Hurlford which, in fact, developed around it. Latterly the works was owned by the Eglinton Iron Works of Kilwinning. ...

More details

This station is closed.
...

More details
Pickersgill 3F 0-6-0 no 57689 at Hurlford on 22 May 1961 with a short freight off the Darvel branch. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 22/05/1961
Scene at Hurlford looking south on 22 May 1961. Horwich Mogul 42905 is about to pass with a down coal train, while classmate 42834 waits in the shed ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 22/05/1961
A Dumfries - Glasgow stopping train passing Hurlford on 22 May 1951. The train is hauled by Black 5 44718 and observed by a pair of well balanced ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 22/05/1951
A down freight trundles through Hurlford in the spring of 1954 behind Stanier 8F 2-8-0 48612. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1954




This was a three platform station about half a mile to the south of Mauchline itself. The main station building was on the main line southbound platform. There was a goods yard at the east end, north of the line, approached by reversal.
...

More details
A Dumfries - Glasgow St Enoch local photographed shortly after leaving Mauchline in the spring of 1959. The locomotive is Black 5 4-6-0 no 45081. [Ref ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 30/03/1959
44899 calls at Mauchline with the 5.30pm from Glasgow St Enoch to Carlisle.
...
Bill Hamilton 04/06/2018
45160 approaching junction with the G&SW main line with the 1.35 Falkland Junction to Saltney freight. 1961. ...
Bill Hamilton 04/06/2018
45693 approaching Mauchline Jct with a Glasgow St Enoch to Carlisle local train. The lines from Ayr are in foreground. August 1960. ...
Bill Hamilton 04/06/2018

This viaduct, by John Miller, has seven arches. It crosses the River Ayr. The central span is 181 ft long. The long central arch may be the longest masonry arch on a railway viaduct. ...

More details
A view of the impressive arch of the Ballochmyle Viaduct. This was taken on the west side looking north in 2002. ...
Ewan Crawford //2002
A southbound Sprinter passes over the Ballochmyle Viaduct in 2002. This is the view from the east side. ...
Ewan Crawford //2002
Caley Jumbo 57359 crossing Ballochmyle Viaduct on 4 August 1951 with a relief mineral train from Barony Pit. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 04/08/1961
View of Ballochmyle Viaduct from the south west in the summer of 1961. [See image 7160] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 04/08/1961

Brackenhill Junction, junction for the former Catrine Branch. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This site of the junction for the Barony complex of mine and powerstation. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This is a two platform station. The station building survived into the late 1980s, including a long period of closure.
...

More details
The 1112 hrs Carlisle to Glasgow Central gets ready to depart from Auchinleck on 31 August 2018 as the guard starts the door closure sequence. ...
John McIntyre 31/08/2018
Mogul 42739 shunting an up slag train at Auchinleck on 29 July 1961. [Ref query 26 May 2018] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 29/07/1961
Black 5 no 44886 passing through Auchinleck on 29 July 1961 with a St Enoch - Carlisle service. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 29/07/1961
Late floral display, seen under the footbridge at Auchinleck in November 2015 as Sprinter 156509 pulls in. ...
John Yellowlees 18/11/2015

This junction was immediately east of Auchinleck station between the lines to [[Muirkirk] and the main line from Glasgow St Enoch to Carlisle. Muirkirk Junction Shed was located in the 'v' of the junction. The Muirkirk branch singled shortly after the junction, with initially only the westbound line laid. ...

More details

This is a 13 span double track masonry viaduct over the Lugar Water, for which is is also known as the Lugar Water Viaduct.
...

More details

A two platform station with a two storey building on the northbound platform. There was a generous goods yard to the south, accessed from the west.
...

More details
General view of Cumnock station looking north on 29 July 1961. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 29/07/1961