This is a two platform terminus station which, just to the south, continues as a single track to Fairlie. There is a small, modern, glazed station building on the east side. The station opened in 1885, with the extension of the line north from Fairlie Pier Junction.
At its height this was a four platform station - two on either side and an island in the middle. There were three tracks between the platforms on each side - two platform lines and an engine release line in the middle. Platforms had glazed canopies and there was a large glazed circulating area.
To the south was a goods yard on the east side, approached from the south, with a large goods shed. There was a signal box on the west side, to the south of the goods facilities which burned down in 1985 (there was a temporary replacement).
In 1986 the station was drastically cut back to only the west side. This was in preparation for electrification when the railway was reduced to a single track. The temporary box was replaced by Paisley Signalling Centre.
On 11 July 1995 a train over-ran the buffers and crashed through the station - bringing down the glazed roof. The roof and canopy was removed as a result and station facilities were cut back to a portacabin for a number of years.
North of the station is Largs Pier and Largs Slip from which Caledonian MacBrayne runs a ferry service to the Great Cumbrae, an island a mile offshore.
Near the station, to the north west, is Largs Museum .
Not far north of the station and facing Largs Bay is Nardinis Cafe and Ice Cream Parlour.
To the south is the Largs Pencil, commemorating the Battle of Largs of 1263.
Wemyss Bay [1st]
Dalry Junction [Station]
| Fairlie Shed|
Fairlie Pier Junction
Hunterston Ore Terminal
Hunterston Low Level Sidings
Hunterston High Level Sidings
Cumbrae Ferry Terminal
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Gourock to Largs Coast Through Time
Largs 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 03.12 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)
Old West Kilbride