Glasgow St Enoch (1876-1966)
Opened on the City of Glasgow Union Railway.
This was a large terminus with 12 platforms in Glasgow. The main entrance was from St Enoch Square in the city centre.
It was originally built for the cross city City of Glasgow Union Railway but became the main terminus, and headquarters, of the Glasgow and South Western Railway. The station was covered by two large glazed trainsheds, the northern of which was the original covering platforms 1-6. The eastern portion of these platforms constituted the site of the temporary terminus, Dunlop Street (1870-1876).
As designed, platforms 1 to 3 were for departures and 4 to 6 for arrivals.
The original station (1876) consisted of the northern 6 platforms and original northern trainshed.
Platforms 1 and 2, the northernmost platforms, were separated by three tracks, the middle being a locomotive release line or carriage siding, and were approached both from Clyde Junction [CGU] to the south and Saltmarket Junction to the east. The platforms extended from under the trainshed out to above Stockwell Street.
Platforms 3 and 4 were separated by three tracks and led to Clyde Junction [CGU]. The centre line was a locomotive release line or carriage siding. These platforms extended out from the trainshed to above Stockwell Street.
Platforms 5 and 6 were separated by two tracks and led to Clyde Junction [CGU]. Following the extension of the station to the south platform six had a canopy which also served the new platforms to the south.
Platforms 7 to 12 were the extension to the south built in 1898-1902. These were covered by a smaller trainshed at the west end. Canopies continued out onto these platforms. This extension dated from the quadrupling of the line south to Gorbals Junction and west to meet the two Paisley lines. It was part of a quadrupling which effectively extended from Glasgow the whole way to just shy of Kilwinning. All of these platforms led to Clyde Junction [CGU].
Platforms 7 and 8 were separated by two tracks and ran from under the trainshed to above Stockwell Street and curved south to alongside the locomotive shed. These were covered with canopies which also covered platform 6 to the north and platform 9 to the south.
Platforms 9 and 10 were separated by two tracks and platform 9 extended from the trainshed to alongside St Enoch Locomotive Depot. Platform 10 was shorter finishing above Stockwell Street. It had a short canopy shared with platform 11.
Platforms 11 and 12 were short platforms, separated by two tracks, and finished above Stockwell Street. Platform 12 had a canopy of similar length to that above 11.
The western frontage of the original trainshed, and its north side, were a large hotel opened in 1879, closed in 1974.
After closure in 1966, the station remained open briefly as a parcels depot and, after track lifting, it was used as a car park. The hotel survived the closure for a short time.
On demolition in 1977, the stonework of the station was used to fill in the Queens Dock.
The station site is now the St Enochs Shopping Centre and the nearby car parks. None of the station has survived except the wide southern abutment of a bridge which carried the fan of lines into the station from the south and the east abutment of the bridge which carried two lines to the east.
St Enoch Hotel, the station frontage onto St Enoch Square, was built by the railway company. It ultimately became a British Transport Hotel and was closed in 1974 and then demolished in 1977. Rubble from the demolition was used in the filling in of the Queens Dock.
The western part of the site of the station and hotel is now the St Enoch Centre , a retail shopping centre.
Glasgow St Enoch
St Enoch [Subway]
Glasgow Central Low Level
Central Station Broomielaw Hoist
Buchanan Street [Subway]
Glasgow Queen Street High Level
Glasgow Queen Street Low Level
Bridge Street [Subway]
Other railway and industry locations
St Enoch Locomotive Depot
Clyde Place Quay
Clyde Junction [CGU]
Bridge Street Junction (South)
Bridge Street Junction
High Street Tunnel
Charing Cross Tunnel
St Enoch Shopping Centre
George Square [Glasgow]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|