This was a 12 road locomotive shed built in the triangle of lines Glasgow St Enoch Station - Clyde Junction [CGU] - Saltmarket Junction.
The shed was above street level and covered a large area. Although the triangle of lines was useful for turning engines there was a turntable on the west side of the shed. The coaling bench was on the west side, close to the station signal box. The site, despite the size of the shed, was quite cramped with little space for the approach lines and sidings.
The duties of the shed were taken on by Corkerhill Depot (opened 1896) but the site remained in use as a locomotive stabling point and the shed itself was not demolished until the entire station site was cleared in the 1970s. The turntable had been removed after the original closure and lines in the east portion were already lifted by the 1960s.
The shed was noted for oil dropping down on passing pedestrians below.
Nothing at all remains of the shed today, it was above today's car park, itself now earmarked for redevelopment.
Glasgow St Enoch
St Enoch [Subway]
Central Station Broomielaw Hoist
Glasgow Central Low Level
Bridge Street [Subway]
Glasgow Queen Street Low Level
Glasgow Queen Street High Level
| Saltmarket Junction|
Clyde Junction [CGU]
St Johns Junction
Bridgeton Central Junction
Clyde Viaduct [Glasgow Central] [1st]
High Street Tunnel
High Street Goods
Clyde Viaduct [Glasgow Central]
Clyde Place Signal Box
St Enoch Shopping Centre
George Square [Glasgow]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1884||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
St Enoch Locomotive Depot opened. This was built in the triangle of lines bounded by Glasgow St Enoch station, Saltmarket Junction and Clyde Junction. The lines ran south from the shed to Clyde Junction. The area under the shed was notorious for oil dripping down on passers by.
|/ /1935||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
St Enoch Locomotive Depot closed and used as a locomotive store and stabling point.