Parkhead Junction [NB]

Location type

Junction

Name and dates

Parkhead Junction [NB] (1875-1981)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.

Opened on the Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway).
Opened on the City of Glasgow Union Railway.

Description

The lines from Bellgrove and Alexandra Parade met here. The junction was east of Parkhead North station. The signal box was on the north side of the junction. Opposite on the south side of the line was Parkhead Shed and to its east a goods yard. On the north side of the line was Parkhead Railway Wheel and Axle Works.

The signal box was extended in 1903 with the addition of goods lines to the south of the existing railway and the considerable resignalling. The railway was effectively quadrupled from High Street Junction through to Carntyne station. This was partly due to the reconstruction of High Street Goods.

A goods line existed on the south side of the line between Parkhead and Haghill Junction serving Parkhead North Goods and the Haghill Destructor,

In the run up to electrification the junction was resignalled in 1960.

The Parkhead Forge closed in 1979. The junction closed in 1981. The signal box here survived closure of the junction. It continued to control access to Camlachie Goods Yard and sidings on the south side of the railway at the former junction.

The box was swept away by the Yoker re-signalling scheme in 1991.

The junction is also known as Parkhead North Junction.

Tags

Junction

Aliases

Parkhead North Junction
08/04/2020