Gorbals station consisted of four platforms, 2 platforms on the line south to Barrhead and 2 on the line west to Paisley known as Main Street Gorbals. The station was above street level.
The two platforms on the route south opened in 1876, replacing the former terminus at South Side, the former terminus becoming a goods depot and carriage sidings with a carriage shed.
The westbound platforms closed during quadrupling of the line west but the two platforms on the line south remained in use until 1928, remaining afterwards in cut back condition.
Gorbals Station signal box was at the south end of the station, on the east side.
It controlled a three way split, approached from the north. From west to east these were:
- northern connection into South Side Goods loop (south end at Langside Junction)
- South Side Carriage Shed (six road shed)
- main line south to Barrhead and Kilmarnock
The box closed and the junction were taken out in 1933 during the Glasgow St Enoch resignalling (only the main line was accessible from the north afterwards). The box was joint Caledonian Railway and Glasgow and South Western Railway due the the joint ownership of the GBK.
The line south to Langside Junction was closed in 1973. The cut back platforms, much overgrown, still exist.
Main Street Gorbals
South Side [GB and NDR]
South Side [CR]
Bridge Street [Subway]
West Street [Subway]
St Enoch [Subway]
Glasgow St Enoch
Central Station Broomielaw Hoist
| Gorbals Junction|
Gushetfaulds Freightliner Terminal
Eglinton Street Junction
Port Eglinton Goods
Bridge Street Junction [South]
Glasgow Central Power Box
Cook Street Shed
Salkeld Street Parcels Depot
Bridge Street Junction
Port Eglinton Junction
Govan Iron Works
South Side Carriage Shed
Eglinton Street Shed
Cook Street Goods
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/08/1877||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Gorbals opened to replace South Side [GB and NDR]. (Or 01/09/1877.)
|01/06/1928||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Gorbals closed and its platforms cut back.