Langside Junction

Location type

Junction

Names and dates

Victoria Junction (1876-1876)
Langside Junction (1876-1973)

Opened on the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway.

Description

This was a junction on the approach to Glasgow St Enoch from the south until 1973.

This junction was originally named for Victoria Road which is to its west.

Coming from the south this was a four way to the north. From west to east were the following lines:

- goods loop serving Gorbals Goods
- southern approach to Gorbals Carriage Shed
- main line north to Gorbals Junction for Glasgow St Enoch
- curve east to Larkfield Junction

The first two had headshunts on the west side of the junction, approached from the north.

The original signal box, opened 1876, was on the east side of the junction.

This box was replaced in 1917, the replacement being in the 'V' of the junction and aligned with the St Enoch approach.

Glasgow St Enoch closed to passengers in 1966 and completely in 1967. Following this the line between Gorbals Junction and Langside Junction was taken out in 1973. Langside Junction box closed and the signalling was transferred to Glasgow Central Power Box.

Tags

Junction



Dates

  /  /1846Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway
Approval for link between Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway and the Polloc and Govan Railway near Gushetfaulds - the curve is the Victoria Junction to Larkfield Junction (the former was later called Langside Junction and the latter is also known as Cathcart Road Junction).
  /  /1872Caledonian Railway Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway Govan and Polloc Railway
Link between Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway, Victoria Junction (Langside Junction), to Govan and Polloc Railway, Cathcart Road Junction (Larkfield Junction), authorised. The former was about to be extended to Kilmarnock in 1873.
  /  /1872City of Glasgow Union Railway Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Gorbals Junction to Langside Junction authorised
  /  /1875Caledonian Railway
Victoria Junction (Langside Junction) to Cathcart Road Junction (Larkfield Junction) authorised, replacing the route authorised in 1872.
01/05/1876City of Glasgow Union Railway
Gorbals Junction to Langside Junction opened.
29/01/1877Caledonian Railway
Victoria Junction (Langside Junction) to Cathcart Road Junction (Larkfield Junction) opened to goods.
01/02/1877Caledonian Railway
Victoria Junction (Langside Junction) to Cathcart Road Junction (Larkfield Junction) opened to passengers.

Books


An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways