Cumbernauld

Location type

Station


Names and dates

Cumbernauld (1849-1849)
Cumbernauld (1870-)

Opened on the Caledonian Railway.

Open on the Glasgow to Cumbernauld via Duke Street.


Description

This is a two platform station with the main station building on the northbound platform. The original shelter on this platform was similar to that at Killin [2nd] reflecting the size of Cumbernauld before it became a 'New Town'.

The lines to Cumbernauld from Sighthill Junction, Springburn, to Cumbernauld via Gartcosh and from Gartsherrie South Junction to Garnqueen North Junction were electrified in early 2014.

Electrification opened up the possibilities of new routes and in addition to the Glasgow Queen Street High Level via Gartcosh service, other services were introduced to Milngavie or Dalmuir via Hamilton and Dalmarnock, and Dumbarton Central via Springburn (reverse)) and Yoker.


Tags

Station