Garnqueen North Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Garnqueen North Junction (1866-)

Opened on the Caledonian Railway.

Opened on the Hayhill Branch (Caledonian Railway).


Description

This is a double track junction where the former Caledonian Railway lines from Glasgow and the south meet and continue north to Stirling and beyond.

The junction was formed in 1866 when the Hayhill Branch (Caledonian Railway) was opened from Gartcosh Junction to meet the 1848 Caledonian Railway. Prior to the opening of the Hayhill Branch trains from Glasgow reversed in Coatbridge before continuing north or departed from Glasgow Queen Street High Level.

Glenboig station was opened at the junction in 1879.

The signal box was on the north/west side of the line. Beyond the station, to the north east, was a connection to the Star Fire Clay Works (later Glenboig Brick Works) and the start of loops which ran north east to Greenfoot Level Crossing.

The signal box was closed in 1999. The junction remains open and is now electrified.


Tags

Junction