This is a two platform station.
The station is located at the point where the Steps Road Carriage Shed sidings formerly met the line. This shed was to the north of the line, approached from the east. It is also where the branch to the Comedie Screens met the line from the south, also approached from the east.
To the east of the station was formerly the Cardowan Colliery.
The original Stepps [1st] station was further west and closed in 1962.
Bridgend [M and K]
Back O Loch Halt
Mount Vernon North
| Steps Road Carriage Shed|
Cardowan Signal Box
Cardowan Fireclay Pit
Cardowan Fireclay Works
Robroyston East Junction
Garnkirk Fireclay Works
Heathfield Fireclay Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1870||Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway|
Villas start being built at Stepps.
|/ /1930||Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway|
Cardowan Colliery opened by line at Stepps.