This is a modern minimal two platform station. It was opened in 2005 on the site of the previous Gartcosh station, closed in 1962.
The station has a car park on the north side. Just to the west the line passes over the M73.
The previous station had no goods yard (originally it had a siding to the west). It had two platforms with station buildings on each platform, that on the eastbound being slightly larger. There was a footbridge at the west end. The platforms were considerably longer than the present station.
Gartcosh House is to the immediate south and the Gartcosh Steelworks was just east of the station, on the north side of the line. Gartcosh Junction was just to the east where the routes to Cumbernauld and Coatbridge Central divide. The Cumbernauld route (the Hayhill Branch) opened in 1866, prior to this all trains had to very inconveniently reverse at Coatbridge. To the west was the Gartcosh Fireclay Works and Bishop Colliery (later a container depot, now gone).
Gartsherrie [M and K]
Bridgend [M and K]
Coatbridge Central [NB]
| Gartcosh Junction|
Russell Depot Gartcosh
Gartcosh Fireclay Works
Gartsherrie Colliery Pit No 2
Gartcosh Brickworks Signal Box
Heathfield Pit No 3
Gartsherrie Colliery Pit No 1
Kilgarth Slag Hill
Kilgarth Signal Box
Hayhill Brickworks Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1837||Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway|
Gartcosh and Garnkirk stations opened.
|05/11/1962||Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway|
Gartcosh station closed.