This was a temporary terminus in Glasgow while the land for Glasgow St Enoch completed purchase and construction between 1870 and 1876. The station had four platforms, along the lines of the later station, between Dunlop Street and Stockwell Street. The station was also known as Central Station.
After closure, the station roof was stored to be used at Fairlie Pier, opened in 1882.
It was also known as Glasgow Central Station, which could cause some confusion.
Glasgow St Enoch
St Enoch [Subway]
Central Station Broomielaw Hoist
Glasgow Central Low Level
Glasgow Queen Street Low Level
Glasgow Queen Street High Level
Buchanan Street [Subway]
Bridge Street [Subway]
| St Enoch Locomotive Depot|
Clyde Junction [CGU]
Clyde Viaduct [Glasgow Central] [1st]
Clyde Viaduct [Glasgow Central]
Clyde Place Signal Box
Clyde Place Quay
High Street Tunnel
St Johns Junction
Bridgeton Central Junction
St Enoch Shopping Centre
George Square [Glasgow]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|12/12/1870||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Opened between Pollok Junction (on the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway) and the new temporary four platform terminus at Dunlop Street (replaced by St Enoch). Glasgow and South Western Railway main line services start to use the new station, local services continue to use Bridge Street. Stations opened at Shields Road [CGU] (interchange with Pollokshields) and Dunlop Street.
|01/04/1871||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Service from Dunlop Street to Govan commences. (Main Street Gorbals may have opened a this time.)
|17/10/1876||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Glasgow St Enoch opened. Through service from London St Pancras via the Midland Railway starts. Dunlop Street closed. Gorbals Junction on the City of Glasgow Union Railway to South Side on the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway opened.