|/ /1836||York and North Midland Railway|
|/ /1839||York and North Midland Railway|
|05/10/1840||Manchester and Leeds Railway|
Normanton to Hebden Bridge opened, worked by the North Midland Railway.
|10/05/1844||Midland Counties Railway
Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway
North Midland Railway
George Hudson encourages the Midland Counties Railway, Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway and North Midland Railway to merge to become the Midland Railway.
|/ /1845||York and Scarborough Line (York and North Midland Railway)|
Opened from York to Scarborough.
|12/05/1845||Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway (Great Western Railway)|
Kemble to Gloucester (Standish Junction) opened. Stations on this section at: Tetbury Road, Brimscombe, Stroud and Stonehouse [Gloucestershire]. Standish Junction to Gloucester was owned by the Midland Railway.
|21/07/1845||York and North Midland Railway|
Act for a branch from Church Fenton to Harrogate via Wetherby.
|/ /1847||Harrogate Branch (York and North Midland Railway)|
Opened from Church Fenton to Spofforth.
|23/10/1847||Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway (Great Western Railway)|
Broad Gauge line from Gloucester, Tramway Junction, to Cheltenham, Lansdown Junction, opened. Stations on this section at: Churchdown and Cheltenham. Gloucester to Cheltenham owned by the Birmingham and Gloucester Railway later owned by the Midland Railway.
|/ /1848||Harrogate Branch (York and North Midland Railway)|
Line extended from Spofforth to Harrogate (Brunswick).
|07/08/1850||Great Northern Railway]|
Opened throughout. Route: London Kings Cross to Boston to Lincoln (not via Peterborough to Retford) to Knottingley on North Midland Railway and not York itself.
Worcester Junction renamed Abbots Wood Junction.
|/06/1852||North Western Railway|
Line worked by Midland Railway.
|04/06/1853||West Midland Railway|
Addlestrop and Stow Road opened.
|/ /1854||York and North Midland Railway
Malton and Driffield Junction Railway
York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway
Leeds and Thirsk Railway
West Hartlepool Harbour and Railways
North Eastern Railway|
Companies merge to form the North Eastern Railway.
Abbots Wood Junction closed.
|/ /1858||Great Northern Railway|
Midland Railway start to make use of the line from Hitchin to London Kings Cross.
|/ /1859||North Western Railway|
Line leased by Midland Railway.
|/ /1860||West Midland Railway
Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford Railway
Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway
Worcester and Hereford Railway|
Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford Railway, Oxford Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway and Worcester and Hereford Railway merge to form the West Midland Railway.
|/ /1861||Coleford, Monmouth, Usk and Pontypool Railway, West Midland Railway|
Coleford, Monmouth, Usk and Pontypool Railway leased by the West Midland Railway.
|/ /1862||Harrogate Branch (York and North Midland Railway)|
Harrogate (Brunswick) closed.
|01/03/1862||West Midland Railway|
Addlestrop and Stow Road renamed Addlestrop.
|01/07/1862||Shrewsbury and Hereford Railway|
Leased jointly by the London and North Western Railway, West Midland Railway and Great Western Railway.
|/ /1863||Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford Railway|
West Midland Railway builds platforms north of the south facing junction with the Merthyr, Tredegar and Abergavenny Railway.
|13/07/1863||West Midland Railway, Great Western Railway|
West Midland Railway merged with Great Western Railway.
|/ /1865||Cheshire Lines CommitteeMidland Railway,Great Northern Railway,Manchester Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway)|
|/ /1866||Settle and Carlisle Line (Midland Railway)|
Bill for the line presented with support from the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, Glasgow and South Western Railway and the North British Railway (who did not have a partner other than the North Eastern Railway route to Newcastle Central for taking traffic from the Border Union Railway (North British Railway) (Waverley Route) at Carlisle).
|16/07/1866||Settle and Carlisle Line (Midland Railway)|
|/ /1867||Glasgow and South Western Railway
A Bill proposing the merger of the Glasgow and South Western Railway and Midland Railway fails.
|/ /1868||Settle and Carlisle Line (Midland Railway)|
An agreement with the London and North Western Railway is reached over use of the Ingleton Branch (London and North Western Railway) and Lancaster and Carlisle Railway by the Midland Railway. The route would involve the North Western Railway. The Midland Railway tries to abandon the Settle and Carlisle Line (Midland Railway). The North British Railway and the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway block the abandonment.
|01/10/1869||Hereford, Hay and Brecon Railway|
Worked by the Midland Railway.
|01/02/1870||Midland Railway |
Abbey Houses opened.
Abbey Houses renamed Beauchief.
|/ /1873||Settle and Carlisle Line (Midland Railway)|
Line planned to be open, but was not due to heavy engineering required.
Through coaches run from Brecon (Free Street) and Birmingham.
|/ /1874||Hereford, Hay and Brecon Railway|
Leased by the Midland Railway.
|01/07/1874||Swansea Vale Railway|
Leased by the Midland Railway. This gave the Midland Railway access to Swansea via Brecon.
|/ /1875||Somerset and Dorset Railway|
London and South Western Railway and Midland Railway take control of the line.
|02/08/1875||Settle and Carlisle Line (Midland Railway)|
First goods train.
|01/05/1876||Settle and Carlisle Line (Midland Railway)|
First passenger train. Midland Railway trains run through Carlisle Citadel, continued north by the North British Railway or Glasgow and South Western Railway.
|11/08/1876||Swansea Vale Railway|
Bought by the Midland Railway.
|17/10/1876||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Glasgow St Enoch opened. Through service from London St Pancras via the Midland Railway starts. Dunlop Street closed. Gorbals Junction on the City of Glasgow Union Railway to South Side on the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway opened.
|02/07/1877||Neath and Brecon Railway|
Midland Railway starts to operate line from Brecon to Ynysgeinon.
|/ /1878||Hawes Branch (Midland Railway)|
Opened from Hawes Junction (now Garsdale) to Hawes.
|/10/1878||Hawes Branch (North Eastern Railway)|
Opened for passengers to meet the Hawes Branch (Midland Railway) over which the North Eastern Railway had running powers to Hawes Junction (now Garsdale). Built as a single track line.
|/02/1880||Nottingham and Melton Line (Midland Railway)|
Opened to local passenger trains.
|/ /1885||Hereford, Hay and Brecon Railway|
Merged into the Midland Railway].
|/ /1885||Portpatrick Railway|
The Caledonian Railway's lease expires - the Portpatrick Railway and Wigtownshire Railway become jointly run as the Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Railway - controlled by the Caledonian Railway, London and North Western Railway, Glasgow and South Western Railway and Midland Railway. The stock was owned by all four companies and operated by the two Scottish companies. The Joint company also owned 4/5 of the Larne and Stranraer Steamship Joint Committee, the remaining 1/5 owned by the Belfast and Northern Counties Railway.
|/02/1885||Nottingham and Melton Line (Midland Railway)|
Holwell Branch brought into use.
|/07/1888||Nottingham and Melton Line (Midland Railway)|
London St Pancras - Glasgow St Enoch and Edinburgh Waverley trains start to use line.
|01/07/1888||~West Midland Railway|
Addlestop renamed Adlestrop.
|30/06/1889||Swansea Vale and Neath and Brecon Junction Railway|
Midland Railway ceases to operate Colbren to Ynysgeinon at end of agreement.
|22/07/1889||Swansea Vale and Neath and Brecon Junction Railway|
Midland Railway re-operates Colbren to Ynysgeinon after Sir Edward Watkin takes the company to court.
|/ /1952||Avenue Coking Works (Chesterfield)|
New coking works built to the south of Chesterfield beside the North Midland Railway. This site formerly had a colliery and iron works, mostly closed but 1938.
|/ /1959||Hawes Branch (Midland Railway)|
Hawes to Garsdale closed.
|/ /1961||Harrogate Branch (York and North Midland Railway)|
Wetherby West Junction to Wetherby East Junction closed
|/ /1964||Harrogate Branch (York and North Midland Railway)|
Crimple Junction (Harrogate) to Wetherby closed
|/ /1966||Harrogate Branch (York and North Midland Railway)|
Wetherby to Church Fenton closed
|03/01/1966||~West Midland Railway|
|29/04/1967||Nottingham and Melton Line (Midland Railway)|
Line closed to passenger expresses. It was latterly used by express trains until the WCML was upgraded.
|01/11/1968||Nottingham and Melton Line (Midland Railway)|
Last freight train.
|04/11/1968||Nottingham and Melton Line (Midland Railway)|
Closed as through route. The line was then developed as a test track and was host to trains such as the APT and Pendolinos as well as the famous test crash of a train into a nuclear flask.
|31/01/1995||Settle and Carlisle Line (Midland Railway)|
A guard killed and 40 injured in an accident at Aisgill.
|14/11/2005||Nottingham and Melton Line (Midland Railway)|
Neither Network Rail nor the Government express any interest in taking over the now redundant test track.