London and North Western Railway






Dates

24/11/1845~[London and North Western Railway]
Adlington opened
01/01/1846[London and North Western Railway]
[London and Birmingham Railway], [Grand Junction Railway] and [Manchester and Birmingham Railway] merge to form the London and North Western Railway.
  /09/1848[London and North Western Railway]
Consideration of abandoning Leamington to Rugby line promoted by the former Rugby and Leamington Railway.
14/08/1849[Mold Railway]
Line opened from Saltney Ferry to Mold, worked by the [London and North Western Railway]
  /  /1850[London and North Western Railway]
Work resumes on the Rugby to Leamington Spa branch.
  /  /1851[London and North Western Railway]
Rugby to Leamington Spa opened as a single track railway.
02/01/1854[Newport Abergavenny and Hereford Railway]
Opened from Hereford (Barton) to Coedygric on the [Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company]. Worked by the [London and North Western Railway].
  /  /1859[Northampton and Market Harborough Branch] ([London and North Western Railway])
Line opened with stations at Lamport, Brixworth, Spratton, Pitsford & Brampton.
01/06/1860[Ingleton Branch] ([London and North Western Railway])
Ingleton to Low Gill opened.
01/08/1860~[London and North Western Railway]
Adderley Park opened
08/11/1861[Merthyr Tredegar and Abergavenny Railway]
Agreement reached for lease for 1000 years by the [London and North Western Railway].
01/07/1862[Shrewsbury and Hereford Railway]
Leased by the [London and North Western Railway], [West Midland Railway] and [Great Western Railway].
07/08/1862[Merthyr Tredegar and Abergavenny Railway]
Lease agreement with [London and North Western Railway] confirmed by Act.
01/10/1862[Merthyr Tredegar and Abergavenny Railway], [London and North Western Railway]
[London and North Western Railway] takes possession of the [Merthyr, Tredegar and Abergavenny Railway].
01/03/1864[London and North Western Railway, South Wales]
Extension from Brynmawr to Nantybwch.
25/07/1864Rhymney Railway
Act for Caerphilly to Cardiff Line (Rhymney Railway) and connection to the Caerphilly Branch (Brecon and Merthyr Railway). Traffic agreement made with the London and North Western Railway. Larger company helps finance smaller company's plans.
30/07/1865[London and North Western Railway]
Makes traffic agreement with the [Vale of Neath Railway].
05/10/1865[London and North Western Railway]
Uses running powers over the [Taff Vale Extension Railway] and an agreement with the [Vale of Neath Railway] to serve Swansea.
  /  /1866[Merthyr Tredegar and Abergavenny Railway], [London and North Western Railway]
[Merthyr Tredegar and Abergavenny Railway] bought by the [London and North Western Railway].
16/07/1866[Brynmawr and Blaenavon Railway]
Act passed, backed by the [London and North Western Railway].
  /  /1867[London and North Western Railway]
Act for north facing junction at Abergavenny for the [Merthyr Tredegar and Abergavenny Railway].
01/09/1867[Beaufort Ironworks Tramway], [London and North Western Railway, South Wales]
Link between lines opened.
  /  /1868[Settle and Carlisle Line] ([Midland Railway])
An agreement with the [London and North Western Railway] is reached over use of the [Ingleton Branch] ([Lancaster and Carlisle Railway]) and [Lancaster and Carlisle Railway] by the [Midland Railway]. The route would involve the [North Western Railway]. The [Midland Railway] tries to abandon the [Settle and Carlisle Line]. The [North British Railway] and the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway block the abandonment.
  /  /1869[Brynmawr and Blaenavon Railway]
Incorporated into the [London and North Western Railway].
  /  /1871[Newport Abergavenny and Hereford Railway]
Abergavenny Junction station re-built at [London and North Western Railway] expense.
05/09/1871[Rhymney and Nantybwch Joint Line] ([London and North Western Railway, South Wales] and [Rhymney Railway])
Joint line from Rhymney to Nantybwch opened.
02/10/1871[Rhymney and Nantybwch Joint Line] ([London and North Western Railway, South Wales] and [Rhymney Railway])
Joint line from Rhymney to Nantybwch opened to public traffic. The [London and North Western Railway] diverts all of its Cardiff bound traffic to the [Rhymney Railway] route.
01/01/1873London and North Western Railway South Wales
Line extended to Dowlais Top and Ivor Junction with the Brecon and Merthyr Railway and access to Dowlais Lloyd Street and the Dowlais Iron Company.
  /11/1873London and North Western Railway South Wales
Bill for line to Merthyr and the Brecon and Merthyr Railway, Vale of Neath Railway and Geothin Railway.
18/05/1874London and North Western Railway South Wales, Brecon and Merthyr Railway
London and North Western Railway agrees to withdraw Merthyr bill in exchange for joint ownership of the Brecon and Merthyr Railway branch from Dowlais to Merthyr. A link was to be opened from Penywern Junction, by Ivor Junction, and run from there to Morlais on the Brecon and Merthyr Railway.
14/06/1874[London and North Western Railway South Wales]
Morlais Tunnel completed.
16/07/1874[London and North Western Railway South Wales]
Act for extension from Penywern Junction to Morlais.
01/01/1875[Pontypool Caerleon and Newport Railway]
[London and North Western Railway] uses line for Shrewsbury to Newport Mill Street.
  /07/1875[Sirhowy Tramroad], [London and North Western Railway]
The London and North Western Railway starts to run trains on the Sirhowy Tramroad.
21/08/1875[Sirhowy Tramroad], [London and North Western Railway]
Date of retrospective working agreement.
01/10/1875[London and North Western Railway]
Opens depot at Tyndall Street Goods, Cardiff, approached by 1/2 a mile of traffic from the [Rhymney Railway].
13/07/1876[Sirhowy Tramroad], [London and North Western Railway]
Act merging the Sirhowy Tramroad into the London and North Western Railway.
  /  /1877[Llanmorlais Branch] ([London and North Western Railway])
Penclawdo to Llanmorlais opened.
01/05/1878[Brynmawr and Blaenavon Railway]
Extension to Abersychan and Talwain opened to passengers. Track in the station was jointly owned by the [London and North Western Railway] and the [Great Western Railway] as the line met its [Talwain Branch] here.
  /03/1879[Pontypool Caerleon and Newport Railway]
[London and North Western Railway] stop using line for passengers. Cwmbran to Mill Street becomes freight only.
09/06/1879[Dowlais and Merthyr Joint Line]
[London and North Western Railway] passenger service starts to run to Merthyr. Access also opened to [Crawshays Private Railway].
  /  /1881[London and North Western Railway]
Rent the Nantyglo to Brynmawr railway from the Nantyglo and Blaina Iron Company.
14/02/1881[London and North Western Railway South Wales]
Cwmbargoed Junction to Cwmbargoed (LNWR) opened.
  /  /1884[Newport Abergavenny and Hereford Railway]
Private coal and stores siding laid to Abergavenny Lunatic Asylum from south junction at triangle. [London and North Western Railway] had running powers to it.
01/07/1884[Bethesda Branch] ([London and North Western Railway])
Line opened from Penrhyn, by Bangor, to Bethesda.
  /  /1885Portpatrick Railway
The Caledonian Railway's lease expires - the Portpatrick Railway and Wigtownshire Railway become jointly run as the Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Railway - controlled by the Caledonian Railway, London and North Western Railway, Glasgow and South Western Railway and Midland Railway. The stock was owned by all four companies and operated by the two Scottish companies. The Joint company also owned 4/5 of the Larne and Stranraer Steamship Joint Committee, the remaining 1/5 owned by the Belfast and Northern Counties Railway.
04/05/1885[London and North Western Railway South Wales]
Dowlais High Street opened, through trains to Merthyr stop using Dowlais Lloyd Street, and Dowlais Top closed.
  /  /1895Weedon, Daventry and Leamington Spa Branch ([London and North Western Railway])
Line opened.
  /  /1900[Penllwyn Tramway], [London and North Western Railway]
A new spur, west of Nine Mile Point, is opened to the [Penllwyn Tramway] by the owners, the [London and North Western Railway] to give access to Nine Mile Point Colliery. Formerly this tramway was accessible by a point west of Nine Mile Point and thus in [Great Western Railway] territory.
31/07/1902[Brynmawr and Western Valleys Railway]
Line taken over jointly by the [London and North Western Railway] and the [Great Western Railway] as the Nantyglo and Blaina Iron Company were asking too high a price to buy their Nantyglo to Brynmawr railway.
  /  /1910[London and North Western Railway, South Wales]
Run-away coal train piles up after being diverted onto a dead-end siding by signalman on Ebbw Vale Branch.
  /  /1918[London and North Western Railway]
Lease of the Nantyglo to Brynmawr railway expires.
  /  /1923[London Midland and Scottish Railway]
0-8-4 tanks by H.P.M. Beams introduced on the [London and North Western Railway, South Wales]
  /  /1937[London and North Western Railway South Wales]
Cwmbargoed branch closed.
16/06/1947[London and North Western Railway]
P.S. Waverley maiden voyage. Based at Craigendoran Pier.
  /  /1948~[London and North Western Railway]
Adlington renamed Adlington (Cheshire)
05/02/1951[Beaufort Ironworks Tramway], [London and North Western Railway, South Wales]
Link closed to passengers.
23/09/1953[Rhymney Railway], [London and North Western Railway, South Wales]
Joint line from Rhymney to Rhymney Bridge closed.
22/11/1954[London and North Western Railway South Wales]
Freight services transferred to [Great Western Railway] routes.
  /  /1958Weedon, Daventry and Leamington Spa Branch ([London and North Western Railway])
Closed to passengers.
06/01/1958[London and North Western Railway South Wales]
Closed to passengers.
  /  /1959[London and North Western Railway]
Rugby to Leamington Spa closed to passengers.
02/11/1959[Beaufort Ironworks Tramway], [London and North Western Railway, South Wales]
Link closed completely.
04/01/1960[Northampton and Market Harborough Branch] ([London and North Western Railway])
Line closed to passengers.
  /  /1963Weedon, Daventry and Leamington Spa Branch ([London and North Western Railway])
Closed to goods except the Marton to Southam section which was accessed by the Rugby to Marton line.
07/10/1963[Bethesda Branch] ([London and North Western Railway])
Line closed.
06/01/1969[Northampton and Market Harborough Branch] ([London and North Western Railway])
Line re-opened for through passenger trains.
01/05/1969[Northampton and Market Harborough Branch] ([London and North Western Railway])
Line closed to passengers.
10/07/1972[Northampton and Market Harborough Branch] ([London and North Western Railway])
Line re-opened for through passenger trains.
16/08/1981[Northampton and Market Harborough Branch] ([London and North Western Railway])
Line closed to passengers.