Wigtownshire Railway

Introduction

This line is closed. The line ran from Newton Stewart to Whithorn, with a branch to Garlieston Harbour from which steamers operated to the Isle of Man.






Dates

  /  /1887[Girvan and Portpatrick Railway]
Ayr and Wigtownshire Railway
Girvan and Portpatrick Railway absorbed by Ayr and Wigtownshire Railway, a company formed to re-finance the line.
  /  /1892Ayrshire and Wigtownshire Railway
[Glasgow and South Western Railway]
Ayrshire and Wigtownshire Railway absorbed by Glasgow and South Western Railway.
26/06/1892Ayr and Wigtownshire Railway
[Glasgow and South Western Railway]
The Girvan to Challoch Junction line absorbed by the larger company.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Newton Stewart to Millisle

Opened in 1875.

This was an important junction station on the Portpatrick Railway, to the south west of the town of Newton Stewart itself.
...

More details
40623+45432 photographed shortly after leaving Newton Stewart on 16 July 1956 with a train for Dumfries. [Ref query 1660] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 16/07/1956
The former locomotive shed at Newton Stewart, officially closed on the last day of 1959.The building looks to be in a better condition than it was 10 ...
Andy Furnevel 22/05/2017
Scene at Newton Stewart on 16 July 1956 with ex-Caledonian 'Jumbo' 0-6-0 no 57445 passing the locomotive shed as it turns south onto the Whithorn line ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 16/07/1956
A freight described as a 'bomb special' proceeds west through Newton Stewart towards Stranraer on 16 July 1956. Stanier 8F 2-8-0 48321 is about to ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 16/07/1956





This was a station on the Wigtownshire Railway which continued south to the terminus at Whithorn and north to the junction at Newton Stewart.
...

More details
Little now remains of Wigtown station, situated at the south east corner of Scotland's Book Town. This old overbridge still spans the Whithorn ...
Mark Bartlett 26/05/2011
View south along the platform at Wigtown station. The track, goods loop and goods yard were to the left. Wigtown was the principal station and ...
Ewan Crawford //1997
'The next narrow boat from Newton Stewart...' the station site at Wigtown in March 2014. [See image 27486] ...
Colin Miller 28/03/2014
Looking south at the former Wigtown station. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This siding was to the south of the Bladnoch Viaduct. ...

More details


Whauphill. ...
Ewan Crawford //

Looking north at the former Sorbie station. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This island platform sat between the Garlieston branch and the Newton Stewart to Whithorn 'mainline'.
...

More details

This combined goods shed and locomotive shed was for the locomotive which operated the Garlieston 2nd] branch. ...

More details

This station was the southern terminus of the line in 1875. Note that at the time of opening the town name was 'Garliestown', it has since been abbreviated to 'Garlieston'. The official railway spelling was Garliestown.
...

More details
The closed Millisle station viewed from the south. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Caley Jumbo 0-6-0 No 57375 heading south along the Whithorn branch approaching Millisle distant signal on 15 April 1963 with Scottish Rambler ...
John Robin 15/04/1963




Millisle to Garlieston

Extended to Garlieston in 1876.

This island platform sat between the Garlieston branch and the Newton Stewart to Whithorn 'mainline'.
...

More details

This was a single platform station with a passing loop and siding continuing through to Garlieston Mill and Garlieston Harbour. The platform and station building were on the north side. The platform was in timber. The station was on the extension of the Wigtownshire Railway from the original Garliestown [1st] station, renamed Millisle.
...

More details
Garliestown station in the south of Garlieston. The original, and official railway, spelling was Garlistown, it has since become Garlieston. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Passengers on Scottish Rambler No 2 transported in trucks down to Garlieston behind Caley Jumbo 57375 on 15 April 1963. The train is seen here ...
John Robin 15/04/1963

A former corn mill, now demolished. Rail served. Close to the steamer pier and granary. ...

More details
Garlieston Mill was served by the Millisle-Garlieston line which continued beyond the passenger terminus at Garlieston to the mill and pier. The track ...
Ewan Crawford //2002
The formerly rail served mill at Garlieston. ...
Ewan Crawford //

The steamer pier at Garlieston was served by a siding, accessed by a turnplate, at the base of the pier. A further siding ran from the turnplate alongside a quay beside Garlieston Mill.
...

More details




Millisle to Whithorn

Extended south to Whithorn and Millisle station rebuilt in 1877.

This station was the southern terminus of the line in 1875. Note that at the time of opening the town name was 'Garliestown', it has since been abbreviated to 'Garlieston'. The official railway spelling was Garliestown.
...

More details
The closed Millisle station viewed from the south. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Caley Jumbo 0-6-0 No 57375 heading south along the Whithorn branch approaching Millisle distant signal on 15 April 1963 with Scottish Rambler ...
John Robin 15/04/1963

The former station at Broughton Skeog, closed at an early date. View looks north to the level crossing from the former platform. ...
Ewan Crawford //

Looking south at the former Whithorn terminus. ...
Ewan Crawford //
A colourful reminder of times past at Whithorn. Photographed in April 2009, some 59 years after the local station closed to passengers. ...
Colin Miller 05/04/2009
Site of the former Whithorn station in May 2011. The picture is taken from the location of the old platform looking north away from the terminus. The ...
Mark Bartlett 26/05/2011
57375 at Whithorn on 15 April 1963 after arrival from Wigtown and Garlieston. ...
John Robin 15/04/1963