Wigtownshire Railway

Introduction

This line is closed. The line ran from Newton Stewart to Whithorn, with a branch to Garlieston Harbour from which steamers operated to the Isle of Man.





Dates

  /  /1872Wigtownshire Railway
Wigtownshire Railway authorised.
  /  /1872Wigtownshire Railway
Garlieston [2nd] Tramway authorised.
02/08/1875Wigtownshire Railway
Opened from Newton Stewart (Portpatrick Railway) to Wigtown.
03/04/1876Wigtownshire Railway
Opened from Wigtown to Garlieston [2nd].
03/04/1876Wigtownshire Railway
Tramway opened from Millisle to Garlieston [2nd]. Garlieston [1st] renamed Millisle as new tramway branch opens.
  /  /1877Wigtownshire Railway
Garlieston Tramway abandoned, authorisation to build railway to Garliston Harbour.
09/07/1877Wigtownshire Railway
Opened from Millisle to Whithorn.
  /  /1885Portpatrick Railway
The Caledonian Railway's lease expires - the Portpatrick Railway and Wigtownshire Railway become jointly run as the Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Railway - controlled by the Caledonian Railway, London and North Western Railway, Glasgow and South Western Railway and Midland Railway. The stock was owned by all four companies and operated by the two Scottish companies. The Joint company also owned 4/5 of the Larne and Stranraer Steamship Joint Committee, the remaining 1/5 owned by the Belfast and Northern Counties Railway.
  /  /1887Girvan and Portpatrick Junction RailwayAyr and Wigtownshire Railway
Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway absorbed by Ayr and Wigtownshire Railway, a company formed by James Hall Renton amongst others, to re-finance the line.
  /  /1887Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway Ayrshire and Wigtownshire Railway
The Ayrshire and Wigtownshire Railway, created to refinance the Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway, is authorised to take over the company.
  /  /1892Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway
Ayr and Wigtownshire Railway bought by the Glasgow and South Western Railway. Girvan (Old) closed and reparations made to the Girvan and Portpatrick line.
26/06/1892Ayr and Wigtownshire RailwayGlasgow and South Western Railway
The Girvan to Challoch Junction line absorbed by the larger company.
01/08/1892Ayrshire and Wigtownshire Railway Glasgow and South Western Railway
Ayrshire and Wigtownshire Railway absorbed by Glasgow and South Western Railway.
  /  /1903Wigtownshire Railway
Garlieston Branch closed to passengers.
01/03/1903Wigtownshire Railway
Garlieston to Millisle closed to passengers.
25/09/1950Wigtownshire Railway
Whithorn to Newton Stewart closed to passengers.
  /  /1964Portpatrick Railway
Newton Stewart Shed closed and track lifted on closure of the Wigtownshire Railway.
05/10/1964Wigtownshire Railway
Whithorn to Wigtown closed to freight.
05/10/1964Wigtownshire Railway
Garlieston branch closed to freight.
14/06/1965Wigtownshire Railway
Whithorn to Newton Stewart officially closed, although the track was already lifted.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Newton Stewart to Millisle

Opened in 1875.

This was an important junction station on the Portpatrick Railway, to the south west of the town of Newton Stewart itself.
...

More details

See also
Portpatrick Railway
40623+45432 photographed shortly after leaving Newton Stewart on 16 July 1956 with a train for Dumfries. [Ref query 1660] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 16/07/1956
The former locomotive shed at Newton Stewart, closed on the last day of 1959. The building is in a better condition than it was 10 years ago, having ...
Andy Furnevel 22/05/2017
A freight described as a 'bomb special' proceeds west through Newton Stewart towards Stranraer on 16 July 1956. Stanier 8F 2-8-0 48321 is about to ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 16/07/1956
Scene at Newton Stewart on 16 July 1956 with ex-Caledonian 'Jumbo' 0-6-0 no 57445 passing the locomotive shed as it turns south onto the Whithorn line ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 16/07/1956
4 of 23 images. more










This was a station on the Wigtownshire Railway which continued south to the terminus at Whithorn and north to the junction at Newton Stewart.
...

More details
Little now remains of Wigtown station, situated at the south east corner of Scotland's Book Town. This old overbridge still spans the Whithorn ...
Mark Bartlett 26/05/2011
View south along the platform at Wigtown station. The track, goods loop and goods yard were to the left. Wigtown was the principal station and ...
Ewan Crawford //1997
'The next narrow boat from Newton Stewart...' the station site at Wigtown in March 2014. See image 27486 ...
Colin Miller 28/03/2014
Looking south at the former Wigtown station. ...
Ewan Crawford //
4 of 5 images. more


This siding was to the south of the Bladnoch Viaduct. ...

More details


1 of 1 images.


This was a single platform station with a goods yard at the north end, on the west side of the line. There was a single storey wooden station building and a stone goods shed. The station had a goods loop. It was at a rural location, Whauphill is a very small settlement, although connecting coaches ran to Port William.
...

More details
Whauphill. ...
Ewan Crawford //
1 of 1 images.


Looking north at the former Sorbie station. ...
Ewan Crawford //
1 of 1 images.


This island platform sat between the Garlieston branch and the Newton Stewart to Whithorn 'mainline'.
...

More details


This combined goods shed and locomotive shed was for the locomotive which operated the Garlieston 2nd] branch. ...

More details


This station was the southern terminus of the line in 1875. Note that at the time of opening the town name was 'Garliestown', it has since been abbreviated to 'Garlieston'. The official railway spelling was Garliestown.
...

More details
The closed Millisle station viewed from the south. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Caley Jumbo 0-6-0 No 57375 heading south along the Whithorn branch approaching Millisle distant signal on 15 April 1963 with Scottish Rambler ...
John Robin 15/04/1963
2 of 2 images.





Millisle to Garlieston

Extended to Garlieston in 1876.

This island platform sat between the Garlieston branch and the Newton Stewart to Whithorn 'mainline'.
...

More details


This was a single platform station with a passing loop and siding continuing through to Garlieston Mill and Garlieston Harbour. The platform and station building were on the north side. The platform was in timber. The station was on the extension of the Wigtownshire Railway from the original Garliestown [1st] station, renamed Millisle.
...

More details
Garliestown station in the south of Garlieston. The original, and official railway, spelling was Garlistown, it has since become Garlieston. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Passengers on Scottish Rambler No 2 transported in trucks down to Garlieston behind Caley Jumbo 57375 on 15 April 1963. The train is seen here ...
John Robin 15/04/1963
2 of 2 images.


A former corn mill, now demolished. Rail served. Close to the steamer pier and granary. ...

More details
Garlieston Mill was served by the Millisle-Garlieston line which continued beyond the passenger terminus at Garlieston to the mill and pier. The track ...
Ewan Crawford //2002
The formerly rail served mill at Garlieston. ...
Ewan Crawford //
2 of 2 images.


The steamer pier at Garlieston was served by a siding, accessed by a turnplate, at the base of the pier. A further siding ran from the turnplate alongside a quay beside Garlieston Mill.
...

More details





Millisle to Whithorn

Extended south to Whithorn and Millisle station rebuilt in 1877.

This station was the southern terminus of the line in 1875. Note that at the time of opening the town name was 'Garliestown', it has since been abbreviated to 'Garlieston'. The official railway spelling was Garliestown.
...

More details
The closed Millisle station viewed from the south. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Caley Jumbo 0-6-0 No 57375 heading south along the Whithorn branch approaching Millisle distant signal on 15 April 1963 with Scottish Rambler ...
John Robin 15/04/1963
2 of 2 images.


The former station at Broughton Skeog, closed at an early date. View looks north to the level crossing from the former platform. ...
Ewan Crawford //
1 of 1 images.


This was the terminus of a branch from Newton Stewart. The station was at the north end of Whithorn itself. There was a platform on the east side of a loop. The station building was a single storey and built in stone. It had a canopy running the length of the building.
...

More details
Looking south at the former Whithorn terminus. ...
Ewan Crawford //
A colourful reminder of times past at Whithorn. Photographed in April 2009, some 59 years after the local station closed to passengers. ...
Colin Miller 05/04/2009
Site of the former Whithorn station in May 2011. The picture is taken from the location of the old platform looking north away from the terminus. The ...
Mark Bartlett 26/05/2011
57375 at Whithorn on 15 April 1963 after arrival from Wigtown and Garlieston. ...
John Robin 15/04/1963
4 of 4 images.