This was a station on the Wigtownshire Railway which continued south to the terminus at Whithorn and north to the junction at Newton Stewart.
The line skirted the east side of the town and the station was to the south, a fair distance from the town centre.
The station had a single passenger platform on the west (town) side of a loop with a loading bank on the east side. The goods yard was on the east side of the station, served from the south. There was a stone built station building on the passenger platform.
The original Wigtownshire Railway company's workshops were here in the hard at the south end.
In 1875 a signal box opened at the south end of the passenger platform. It was replaced in 1907.
The station closed to passengers in 1950. The box closed in 1952 when replaced with a ground frame. The line closed in 1964.
The passenger platform and goods loading banks remain, although there has been some infilling.
The station house remains, just to the east of the former station alongside the former access road to the goods yard.
Wigtown is now famous for its Wigtown Book Festival but, alas, there is no railway.
The Wigtownshire area is also notable for filming locations for The Wicker Man and testing of the D-Day Mulberrys at nearby Garlieston.
Millisle Exchange Platform
Gatehouse of Fleet
| Bladnoch Siding|
Carsegowan Munitions Factory
Torhouse Stone Circle
Cairn Holy Chambered Cairns
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1872||Wigtownshire Railway|
Wigtownshire Railway authorised from Newton Stewart to Wigtown along with tramway to Garlieston.
Opened from Newton Stewart (Portpatrick Railway) to Wigtown. (Alternative dates 03/05/1875, 02/08/1875.)
Opened from Wigtown to Garlieston [1st].
Whithorn to Wigtown closed to freight.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Railways (Library of Railway History)
|Rails to Portpatrick (Local History Series)|
The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn