Newton Stewart

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Newton Stewart (1861-1965)

Opened on the Portpatrick Railway.

Opened on the Wigtownshire Railway.


Description

This was an important junction station on the Portpatrick Railway, to the south west of the town of Newton Stewart itself.

This was a three platform station. The main station building was on the westbound platform on the south side, north of this was an island platform with a building with a glazed canopy and north again of this the goods yard, served from the west. A long iron footbridge at the west end served the platforms and crossed all the lines.

The station had two signal boxes, West and East, opened 1875. Both boxes were replaced in 1902. The west box was located to the west of the station, on the north side of the junction between the routes to Stranraer and Wigtown. The east box was east of the station and on the north side of the line at the east end of the station loop.

The junction was west of the station and a new locomotive shed Newton Stewart Shed was built here in the 'V' the junction in 1920. The main line and branch were single track.

The station, boxes and line closed in 1965.

Of the station little other than the stone goods shed survives. The station site is now an industrial estate. Portions of loading banks remain in the north of the site and the road bridge crossing to the west of the station remains intact.

The new road Old Station View has nothing to do with the station. It is south of the former junction.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map





Dates

12/03/1861Portpatrick Railway
Stranraer Town to Castle Douglas opened to the public. Most of the line was single track. Stations at; Stranraer, Glenluce, Kirkcowan, Newton Stewart, Creetown, New Galloway, Parton and Crossmichael.
14/06/1965Portpatrick RailwayCastle Douglas and Dumfries Railway
Challoch Junction to Dumfries closed to passengers. Glenluce, Kirkcowan, Newton Stewart, Creetown, Gatehouse of Fleet, New Galloway, Parton and Crossmichael closed. The 'Paddy' is diverted via Mauchline and the former Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway.