This junction was formed in 1877 between the Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway and the 1861 Portpatrick Railway.
On the Portpatrick Railway, the junction was between Dunragit (to the west) and Glenluce (to the east) stations.
A signal box opened in advance of the junction in 1876. This was on the south side of the junction. There was a short loop on the Girvan route.
Challoch Junction Golfers Platform was just to the west.
The signal box closed in 1939 when the box at Dunragit took over. The loop was taken out and electrically operated points installed.
The junction closed in 1965. Most of the Port Road, Challoch Junction to Maxwelltown Factory Siding (both excluded), closed in 1965.
The Stranraer to Girvan route remains open.
Challoch Junction Golfers Platform
Transit (London Road [Stranraer])
| Dunragit Creamery Siding|
Main Water of Luce Viaduct
Cairnryan Junction Yard
Stockton Haulage Depot [Stranraer]
Challoch Level Crossing
Little Gennoch No 1 Level Crossing
Craig No 2 Level Crossing
Little Gennoch No 2 Level Crossing
Milton of Larg No 2 Level Crossing
Milton of Larg No 1 Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Challoch Bridge, just to the west of the former junction where the railway passes over the A75, was the most hit bridge by road vehicles in Britain.
Fortunately the road has been realigned A75 Dunragit bypass .
|/ /1865||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Act receives Royal Assent for a line running from Girvan Junction (Maybole and Girvan Railway) to Challoch Junction (Portpatrick Railway).
|/ /1872||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway
The Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway is authorised to use the Portpatrick Railway from Challoch Junction to Stranraer Harbour and Portpatrick.
|/ /1877||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Authorised to use Stranraer Harbour Pier and Challoch Junction to Stranraer and Portpatrick
|05/10/1877||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway|
Line opened from Girvan Junction (Maybole and Girvan Railway) to Challoch Junction (Portpatrick Railway). Railway worked by the Glasgow and South Western Railway. (Alternative date 01/10/1877.)
|07/02/1882||Girvan and Portpatrick Junction RailwayPortpatrick Railway|
Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway trains banned from Stranraer and Portpatrick by the Portpatrick Railway. Line closed temporarily from Girvan to Challoch Junction.
|26/06/1892||Ayr and Wigtownshire RailwayGlasgow and South Western Railway|
The Girvan to Challoch Junction line absorbed by the larger company.
Challoch Junction signal box replaced with motorpoints operated from Dunragit.
|14/06/1965||Ayr to Mauchline Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)
Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway
Maybole and Girvan Railway|
Annbank to Mauchline re-opened to passengers (with the closure of the Port Road the trains are diverted). The number of trains between Challoch Junction, Girvan and Ayr increases after closure of the Portpatrick Railway.
Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway|
Challoch Junction (excluded) to Dumfries (excluded) closed to passengers. Glenluce, Kirkcowan, Newton Stewart, Creetown, Gatehouse of Fleet, New Galloway, Parton and Crossmichael closed. Challoch Junction to Maxwelltown Factory Siding (excluded) closed to all traffic. On the surviving part of the line Castle Kennedy and Dunragit stations closed.
|/ /1967||Portpatrick Railway|
Track lifting begins between Challoch Junction and Maxwelltown Factory Siding.
Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Railways (Library of Railway History)
|Rails to Portpatrick (Local History Series)|
The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn