Castle Kennedy (1861-1965)
Opened on the Portpatrick Railway.
This was a two platform station with a loop on the single track line. The main station building was on the eastbound platform. There was a goods yard at the west end, north side of the line, approached by reversing from the eastbound platform.
In 1942, as part of the preparations for the opening of the new military line to Cairnryan, the line east to Dunragit was doubled to create a long loop.
The station closed in 1965 and box and loop closed in 1970.
The main station building is now a house.
Castle Kennedy House is about a mile to the north. To the north east was Castle Kennedy Airfield, dating from the Second World War.
Transit (London Road [Stranraer])
Other railway and industry locations
Cairnryan Junction Yard
Stranraer Harbour Junction
Little Gennoch No 2 Level Crossing
Little Gennoch No 1 Level Crossing
Challoch Level Crossing
Milton of Larg No 2 Level Crossing
Craig No 2 Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Railways (Library of Railway History)
|Rails to Portpatrick (Local History Series)|
The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn