Opened on the Portpatrick Railway.
This was a two platform station with the main station building on the eastbound platform and a goods yard on the north side, approached from the west. There is no town at Palnure.
The goods yard siding had a loop.
Until 1904 it was a single platform station, the eastbound being the original. A loop and signal box opened in 1904. The loop was considerably longer than the platforms. The box was west of the main station building, on the platform. a waiting room was on the westbound platform.
The station closed in 1951, long before the line closed in 1965. The loop was taken out in 1952 and the signal box closed, replaced with a ground frame. The goods yard survived until 1959.
The line closed in 1965.
The station building and a railway cottage remain in use as houses.
Gatehouse of Fleet
Millisle Exchange Platform
Other railway and industry locations
Carsegowan Munitions Factory
Newton Stewart Shed
Big Water of Fleet Viaduct
Barskeoch Level Crossing
Torhouse Stone Circle
Cairn Holy Chambered Cairns
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Railways (Library of Railway History)
|Rails to Portpatrick (Local History Series)|
The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn