This was a two platform station. a loop and signal box ('B' listed) remain here and the station building still stands, complete with short section of platform. This had a canopy on its extension to the west, now removed.
The loop and eastbound platform opened with the opening of the line north to Girvan. The loop was installed in 1866.
The original signal box was on the westbound platform and opened in 1877. This was a desirable addition, the Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway opening from Challoch Junction (a little to the east) to Girvan in 1877. The station was, almost, a junction station.
The box was replaced in 1927 with an LMS Type 12 (Caledonian Railway style) building. This was erected on the south side of the line just east of the level crossing. The box took over Challoch Junction in 1939 when remotely operated points were installed there.
The line was doubled to Castle Kennedy, to the west, in 1942 in connection with the new World War Two line to Cairnryan (Military Port No 2). It was also extended east from the station to Dunragit Creamery.
The station closed in 1965, coinciding with the closure of the Portpatrick Railway. The platforms were largely removed.
The line west to Castle Kennedy was singled in 1970 and loop cut back at the east end.
A loop has been maintained here. The is still in use and token exchanges still take place here. The box is C listed.
Challoch Junction Golfers Platform
Transit (London Road [Stranraer])
| Dunragit Creamery Siding|
Cairnryan Junction Yard
Main Water of Luce Viaduct
Little Gennoch No 1 Level Crossing
Little Gennoch No 2 Level Crossing
Challoch Level Crossing
Craig No 2 Level Crossing
Milton of Larg No 2 Level Crossing
Milton of Larg No 1 Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Railways (Library of Railway History)
|Rails to Portpatrick (Local History Series)|
The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn