New Galloway (1861-1965)
Opened on the Portpatrick Railway.
This was a two platform station with a passing loop on the single track Port Road. New Galloway itself is quite some distance away, just under 5 miles to the north. The former station was located in the small village of Mossdale, by which name it is also, informally, known.
The main station building, stone built, was on the eastbound platform. A timber waiting room was on the westbound platform. The signal box (1891) was at the east end of the westbound platform. The stationmaster's house was alongside and above the westbound platform.
To the north was the goods yard, with a goods shed, approached from the east end.
Both platforms were extended east in 1891 (the westbound continuing beyond the box which was formerly at the end of the platform).
The loop was extended west in 1941, incorporating the site of a short siding (which had been at the west end of the eastbound line).
The station, box, loop and line closed in 1965.
The station building has not survived. The stationmaster's house still stands, extended, and is in use as a house. Its garden has been expanded to incorporate the trackbed which has been infilled, but some platform edging is still visible within the garden. The eastern portions of the platforms survive. The loading bank also survives. A railway cottage survives to the south of the stationmaster's house. No other building survives. The line was crossed by the A762 at the west end of the station by double track width bridge which still stands. This bridge replaced an earlier level crossing.
The trackbed is good for walking to both the east and west.
To the east of the station was the Loch Ken Viaduct and to the west the Stroan Viaduct (both still standing).
Departure to the west involved climbing the bank to Loch Skerrow station.
Bridge of Dee
Castle Douglas (St Andrews Street)
Gatehouse of Fleet
Other railway and industry locations
Loch Ken Viaduct
Little Water of Fleet Viaduct
Big Water of Fleet Viaduct
River Dee Viaduct [West]
River Dee Viaduct [East]
Castle Douglas Shed
Loch Skerrow [Loch]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Stranraer Town to Castle Douglas opened to the public. Most of the line was single track. Stations at; Stranraer, Glenluce, Kirkcowan, Newton Stewart, Creetown, New Galloway, Parton and Crossmichael.
|14/06/1965||Portpatrick RailwayCastle Douglas and Dumfries Railway|
Challoch Junction to Dumfries closed to passengers. Glenluce, Kirkcowan, Newton Stewart, Creetown, Gatehouse of Fleet, New Galloway, Parton and Crossmichael closed. The 'Paddy' is diverted via Mauchline and the former Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway.
Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Railways (Library of Railway History)
|Rails to Portpatrick (Local History Series)|
The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn