This is a most elegant single track viaduct, now in use as a part of a private dirt road.
Marked on the railway clearing house maps as Rea Viaduct, this viaduct crosses Loch Ken between Parton (to the east) and New Galloway stations.
The main portion of this single track viaduct has three bowstring girders and an overall length of 462 ft. The height is 22 ft. There are stone masonry arches at either end.
On the 30th of December 1935 an entire train from London Euston derailed, although the locomotives remained on track. None of the 60 passengers were killed. The accident took place just west of the viaduct on a curve.
The engineers were Blyth and Blyth.
Castle Douglas (St Andrew Street)
Bridge of Dee
Gatehouse of Fleet
| Stroan Viaduct
Little Water of Fleet Viaduct
River Dee Viaduct [East]
River Dee Viaduct [West]
Castle Douglas Shed
Big Water of Fleet Viaduct
Loch Skerrow [Loch]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.