Parton

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Parton (1861-1965)

Station code: PRN National Rail
Opened on the Portpatrick Railway.

Description

This was a single platform station with the platform on the north side of the line. There was a goods yard to the east on the north side, approached from the east. There was a water tank at the east end of the platform.

The station building remains in use as a house, the former goods yard has been built over.

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
11/09/2018


Dates

12/03/1861Portpatrick Railway
Stranraer to Castle Douglas opened to the public. Most of the line was single track. Stations at; Stranraer, Glenluce, Kirkcowan, Newton Stewart, Creetown, New Galloway, Parton and Crossmichael.
14/06/1965Portpatrick Railway Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway
Challoch Junction (excluded) to Dumfries (excluded) closed to passengers. Glenluce, Kirkcowan, Newton Stewart, Creetown, Gatehouse of Fleet, New Galloway, Parton and Crossmichael closed. Challoch Junction to Maxwelltown Factory Siding (excluded) closed to all traffic. On the surviving part of the line Castle Kennedy and Dunragit stations closed.

Books


Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Railways (Library of Railway History)
Rails to Portpatrick (Local History Series)
The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn