This railway is closed. The line was built between Dumfries (Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway) and Castle Douglas. Castle Douglas became a junction for Stranraer (via the Portpatrick Railway) and Kirkcudbright (via the Kirkcudbright Railway). A short section of the line remained until 2002 between Dumfries and Maxwelltown. ScotRail provide passenger services from Dumfries to Glasgow Central and Carlisle.
|/ /1856||Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway|
Act receives Royal assent.
|/ /1859||Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway|
Goldielea Viaduct built, designed by John Miller (Junior).
|07/11/1859||Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway|
Line opened as a single track railway, operated by the Glasgow and South Western Railway.
Stranraer to Castle Douglas (on the Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway) formally opened. (Alternative date 12/02/1861.)
|01/09/1863||Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway|
The Caledonian Railway associated Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway is opened giving the company access to Dumfries. In response the Portpatrick Railway applies for running powers over the Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway to Dumfries and the Caledonian Railway negotiates running the Portpatrick Railway, a blow to the Glasgow and South Western Railway which had considered the Portpatrick line to be within its territory.
Opened from Castle Douglas (Portpatrick Railway and Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway) to Kirkcudbright.
|/ /1865||Castle Douglas and Dumfries RailwayGlasgow and South Western Railway|
Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway absorbed by Glasgow and South Western Railway. Running powers were granted to the Caledonian Railway giving access to the Portpatrick Railway.
|06/04/1877||Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway|
Fixed rates arranged for the carriage of granite from Craignair Quarries from Dalbeattie to Glasgow and Carlisle.
|/ /1894||Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway|
Buittle station closed on doubling of line between Dalbeattie and Castle Douglas.
|/ /1965||Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway|
Troop trains for Northern Ireland make use of the line. These ran from Woodburn to Stranraer Harbour.
Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway|
Challoch Junction (excluded) to Dumfries (excluded) closed to passengers. Glenluce, Kirkcowan, Newton Stewart, Creetown, Gatehouse of Fleet, New Galloway, Parton and Crossmichael closed. Challoch Junction to Maxwelltown Factory Siding (excluded) closed to all traffic. On the surviving part of the line Castle Kennedy and Dunragit stations closed.
|/ /1967||Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway|
Track lifting begins.
|/ /1968||Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway|
Track lifting completed.
|/ /1990||Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway|
Dumfries to Cargenbridge closed. The line was left in place except for sidings at Cargenbridge.
These locations are along the line.
This junction is just to the north of Dumfries station and the Edinburgh Road Bridge.
This junction was at the north end of Dumfries station and was formed between the 1859 Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway and the 1863 Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway. To reach the D&CDR the DL&LR crossed the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway (Glasgow and South Western Railway main line) on the level.
This is an eleven arch double track viaduct; five of 30ft at the east end and six over the river of 50ft at the west end.
This was a two platform station to the west of Dumfries. The main station building, of two storeys, was on the northbound (Dumfries bound) platform with a large shelter on the opposite platform. There was no footbridge, there being a road bridge at the north end.
This is a disused double track eight arch masonry viaduct south of the former Maxwelltown station and just north of the former Maxwelltown Factory Siding. Also known as Cargenbridge Viaduct. The viaduct is 276 ft overall and 47 ft high.
This is a fine eighteen arch double track masonry viaduct on a curve. It is 1011 ft long overall and 92 ft high.
This was a two platform station with the east end located in a cutting on the approach to an overbridge. The main station building was on the westbound platform and there was a goods yard at the west end, south of the line, approached from the west.
This was a two platform station to the south of a level crossing. The main station building was on the westbound platform. There was a goods yard on the east side, approached from the south.
This was a two platform station. The goods yard was on the east side, approached from the north, or by reversal from a spur from the south. The main station building was on the westbound platform.
This was a two platform station. The main station building was on the westbound platform and there was a short siding at the west end, approached from the west.
This was a two platform station in the north of Dalbeattie. It had a stone station building on the westbound platform and timber one on the eastbound.
The original single track timber viaduct was replaced with a girder bridge in 1886. The replacement was built to allow a second track and the line was doubled in 1894.
This station was also known as Buittle Mill, Buittle Halt and Buittle Mill Halt. It opened shortly after the line. It had a station building on a single platform and a siding. Services were limited calling on Wednesdays only with one train each way.
This was a two platform station in the north of Castle Douglas.