Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway

Introduction

This railway is closed. The line opened in 1863 and closed in 1966. It came to be owned by the Caledonian Railway, connecting its main line at Lockerbie to the Glasgow and South Western Railway at Dumfries. The Caledonian purchased the line in 1865.

The connection was to prove particularly advantageous to the Caledonian when it took lease of the Portpatrick Railway between 1864 and 1885, making that line an extension of the Caledonian rather than the geographically more appropriate G&SWR. After 1885 it settled down to being a branch.

The line was single track and the Caledonian did not have its own station in Dumfries, using the bay platforms (now filled in) at the current station as its terminus. It did have its own large goods yard to the east of the passenger station.






Dates

  /  /1860Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway
Act receives Royal assent.
  /  /1863Portpatrick Railway
The Caledonian Railway's Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway is opened giving the company access to Dumfries. In response the Portpatrick Railway applies for running powers over the Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway to Dumfries and the Caledonian Railway negotiates running the Portpatrick Railway, a blow to the Glasgow and South Western Railway which had considered the Portpatrick line to be within its territory.
  /08/1863Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway
Single road stone locomotive shed opened at Dumfries St Mary's Shed [CR] with a 42ft turntable.
01/09/1863Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway
Dumfries to Lockerbie opened.
  /  /1865Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie RailwayCaledonian Railway
Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway.
  /  /1902Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway
Dumfries turntable replaced with a 60ft one.
  /12/1923Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway
Dumfries St Mary's Shed [CR] converted for wagon repairs.
19/05/1952Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway
Dumfries to Lockerbie closed to passengers.
  /  /1960Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway
Dumfries St Mary's Shed [CR] demolished.
07/10/1965Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway
Highland 103 covers the line and then runs north via Beattock.
18/04/1966Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway
Dumfries to Lockerbie closed to freight.
18/11/1966Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway
Lockerbie to Dumfries closed.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Lockerbie to Dumfries Goods

This is a two platform station. The main station building is on the northbound platform. This building, by William Tite, is in Tudor style, with crow-stepped gables and remains standing. The central part is two storey and attic and side wings single storey. The platforms were canopied. A modern, somewhat grim, canopy runs for part of the length of the main building.
...

More details
A Voyager catches the late afternoon sunshine as it hurries southwards at Lockerbie on 27 May 2012. ...
John McIntyre 27/05/2012
The 1311 CrossCountry service to Edinburgh leaving Lockerbie on 6 February 2008. The harsh winter sun is casting some interesting shadows on the lift ...
John Furnevel 06/02/2008
88010 Aurora powers north through Lockerbie with the Tesco containers on 12th April 2019. ...
Mark Bartlett 12/04/2019
The 1139hrs TPE service from Manchester Airport to Glasgow Central pulls away from Lockerbie on Thursday 8th February 2018.
...
David Prescott 08/02/2018

This was a two platform station, crossed by a road bridge, diverted from its original course and subsequently routed back to its original course.
...

More details
The trackbed of the DL&L looking north west from Lochmaben on 20 May 2008, with the station site behind the camera. The double track through the ...
John Furnevel 20/05/2008
Scene at Lochmaben in May 2008 looking south east towards the station site, of which no trace remains. Lochmaben closed in 1952, although the line ...
John Furnevel 20/05/2008
View west towards Lochmaben town centre (and the Railway Inn) on 20 May 2008 with the B7020 just visible on the left. The white bungalow on the right ...
John Furnevel 20/05/2008
HR 103 stops at Lochmaben with a BLS railtour on 17 October 1965 running tender first from Dumfries to Lockerbie. The bridge carried the B7020 road ...
G W Robin 17/10/1965

This was a two platform station with a passing loop built on a single track railway. The main station building was on the eastbound platform with a waiting room on the westbound platform, reached by the footbridge. It was west of Shieldhill Farm.
...

More details
Jubilee 45588 Kashmir makes a photostop at Shieldhill, midway between Lockerbie and Dumfries, on 15 April 1963 with Scottish Rambler No ...
John Robin 15/04/1963

Road approach to the former station at Amisfield on the Dumfries - Lockerbie line in 2008. The platform ran along the rear of the building at first ...
John Furnevel 22/05/2008


A series of quarries were served by the Caledonian Railway north of Locharbriggs station on the Lockerbie to Dumfries line.
...

More details

This was a single platform station in the village of Locharbriggs. The station was overshadowed by the considerable Locharbriggs Quarries (sandstone) which were rail served and to the north west of the station.
...

More details


This is an iron bridge, formerly an occupation bridge connecting Heathhall Farm (west) to a field (east). The bridge is not intact but striking. Unusually attractive perhaps to please a landowner. The farm is now housing. C listed.
...

More details

This junction was north of Dumfries station on the now closed line to Lockerbie, the Caledonian Railway owned Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway. It provided access to either Dumfries, Lockerbie Junction, (shared with the Glasgow and South Western Railway) or Dumfries Goods [CR] (St Mary's Goods and Dumfries St Mary's Shed [CR]) for trains approaching ...

More details
A busy scene at the north end of Dumfries on 15 April 1963. Photograph taken from a window of Scottish Rambler No 2 which is waiting to enter ...
John Robin 15/04/1963


This goods station was to east of Dumfries station. It was a goods station only approached from Dumfries Goods Junction on the Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway, rather than the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway main line which remains open.
...

More details
The only surviving building of what was a large Caledonian goods depot to the east of the current Dumfries station. This former goods shed, seen here ...
John Furnevel 10/11/2005




Dumfries Connection

This junction was north of Dumfries station on the now closed line to Lockerbie, the Caledonian Railway owned Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway. It provided access to either Dumfries, Lockerbie Junction, (shared with the Glasgow and South Western Railway) or Dumfries Goods [CR] (St Mary's Goods and Dumfries St Mary's Shed [CR]) for trains approaching ...

More details
A busy scene at the north end of Dumfries on 15 April 1963. Photograph taken from a window of Scottish Rambler No 2 which is waiting to enter ...
John Robin 15/04/1963

This junction was at the north end of Dumfries station and was formed between the 1859 Dumfries and Castle Douglas Railway and the 1863 Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway. To reach the D&CDR the DL&LR crossed the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle (Glasgow and South Western Railway main line) on the level.
...

More details

This is a two platform station with red sandstone buildings and glazed canopies in the east of the centre of Dumfries. The station is noted for its fine station gardens.
...

More details
One of three superb paintings by Jo McSkimming for the People's Project at Dumfries Station. ...
John Yellowlees 02/08/2017
One of three lovely paintings by Jo McSkimming for the People's Project at Dumfries Station. ...
John Yellowlees 02/08/2017
An article about Louis Wall's impressive gardening work at Dumfries station was in autumn issue of The Scottish Gardener distributed with today's ...
(c) 2016 Google and (c) 2016 DigitalGlobe 28/10/2018
Near Dumfries, B1 No.1264 and Black 5 No.44871 race southwards from Ayr
...
John Gray 03/05/2019