Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway

Introduction

This line is open. The line forms part of the Glasgow to Carlisle via Kilmarnock and Dumfries route (the Glasgow and South Western Railway or GSW main line) which is open for both passengers and freight. Passenger services are operated by ScotRail. The line was single-track between Annan and Gretna until recently. A new loop at Thornhill was previously opened as the line has seen a major increase in use and its capacity was limited.



Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This junction was just to the north of the former Gretna [CR] station. The junction is now single lead junction for the route to Dumfries and double for the line north to Lockerbie. The Dumfries route doubles after leading the junction.
...

More details
Crossing the border. Most of the 0730 London Euston - Glasgow Central is now in Scotland, with the rear of the train still to complete the crossing of ...
John Furnevel 03/08/2007
47386 takes a Permanent Way train south through Gretna Junction. The Dumfries route is off to the left. ...
Ewan Crawford //1989
DRS 66404 takes containers south through Gretna Junction on 3 August 2007. ...
John Furnevel 03/08/2007
The 1205 Euston - Glasgow Central at Gretna Junction on Saturday 1 July 1972, double headed from Crewe by 407+422. The train is taking the ex-GSWR ...
Dougie Squance (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 01/07/1972

This was a two platform station. The station house still stands in use as a private dwelling.
...

More details
The road approach to the original Gretna Green station, now a private house, in February 2006. The 1852 station was finally closed in 1965, while the ...
John Furnevel 12/02/2006
EWS 66018 is held at signals on the curve shortly after leaving Gretna Junction with a northbound freight on 17 July 2008. The overbridge carries the ...
John Furnevel 17/07/2008
The old station building at Gretna Green, now a private residence. View south on 30 May 2007 towards the bridge carrying Glasgow Road over the line. ...
John Furnevel 30/05/2007
To the west beyond the car park stands the platform at Gretna Green on a rainy day in February 2006. The new station, opened in 1993, is at the start ...
John Furnevel 12/02/2006

This station was a single platform on a single line when opened. It is now a two platform station after the down line was relayed and the existing platform became an up platform only.
...

More details
Going here and going there at Gretna Green on 13th May 2016. ...
Brian Smith 13/05/2016
Gretna. Nothing happening on the railway and nothing on the road either. ...
Ewan Crawford 09/11/2017
A Glagow Central - Carlisle service pulls away from Gretna Green in October 2006 prior to the redoubling of the Gretna - Annan section. ...
Bruce McCartney /10/2006
A Glasgow Central - Carlisle service pulls away from Gretna Green on 27 September with work on the extended station nearing completion. ...
John Furnevel 27/09/2008


This was a two platform station.
...

More details

This was a two platform station.
...

More details
Looking west towards Annan over the remains of Dornock (later Eastriggs) station on 17 July 2008. Double track has recently been reinstated at this ...
John Furnevel 17/07/2008
The former Dornock station (latterly Eastriggs), Dumfriesshire, in 2007. During WW1 the station served the huge wartime munitions complex referred to ...
John Furnevel 30/05/2007
The closed station at Eastriggs (formerly Dornock), between Annan and Gretna, looking south west in October 2006. ...
John Furnevel 09/10/2006
A Carlisle - Glasgow Central service passing Eastriggs on the single line Gretna - Annan section on 17 July 2008. Work on finalising and commissioning ...
John Furnevel 17/07/2008

The gated entrance to the exchange sidings at the then MoD Eastriggs (now no longer an active MoD site), as seen looking east on 30 June 2014. This ...
David Spaven 30/06/2014

Just east of Annan station 156435 takes to the single track as it heads for Carlisle. By modern (slightly peculiar) naming standards the train would ...
Ewan Crawford //1998
Solway Junction, looking east, in 1998. The line to Carlisle (left) has since been doubled and the line to the Solway Viaduct (right - now a series of ...
Ewan Crawford //1998

This is a two platform station in the south of Annan. The main station building is on the eastbound platform (the town side of the station). The building has a long glazed canopy. The westbound platform waiting room has not survived.
...

More details
Railway bridge over the River Annan just west of Annan station, photographed in May 2007 from the east bank of the river. [Ref query 6889] ...
John Furnevel 30/05/2015
The 09.11 service to Newcastle (ex-Glasgow Central) calls at Annan on 7 September 2010.
...
Bruce McCartney 07/09/2010
Freightliner 70003 rumbles south through Annan station on 13 May 2010 with a long coal train heading for Drax. ...
John Furnevel 13/05/2010
The Station House Annan on 21 May 2008, now a pub. ...
John Furnevel 21/05/2008





This was a two platform station. The main station building was on the westbound platform and there was a goods yard at the west end, approached from the west, on the south side of the line. A tramway ran north past a gravel pit to Kelhead Lime Works, around two miles to the north.
...

More details
Looking from the main road through the village over what was the station forecourt at Cummertrees, Dumfries & Galloway, on 21 May 2008. The station ...
John Furnevel 21/05/2008

This was a two platform station built on an embankment. To the west and north of the line was a goods yard served from the east. The main station building, of two storeys, was on the eastbound platform.
...

More details
The former Ruthwell station in May 2008, now a private residence. The station was on the G&SW route between Dumfries and Annan. It closed to ...
John Furnevel 21/05/2008
The road approach to the former Ruthwell station in May 2008. Located on the G&SW route midway between Dumfries and Annan the station closed to ...
John Furnevel /05/2008
Approaching the hamlet of Ruthwell Station from the south west on 21 May 2008. The former station, on the embankment top right, closed in 1965 and has ...
John Furnevel 21/05/2008


Racks was a two platform station. Initially a minimal station, station cottages/offices were built above platform level on the eastbound platform and a goods yard added on the north side, approached from the east. There were small waiting rooms on the platforms, a larger on the westbound.
...

More details
Approach to the former Racks station from the east on 21 May 2008 with the entrance to the station and goods yard on the left and the road bridge over ...
John Furnevel 21/05/2008
The converted station building at Racks looking east across the lines in May 2008. During its 117 years as a station until closure in 1965 the (still ...
John Furnevel 21/05/2008
66140 takes a coal train south through Racks on 13 May 2010. Note the name of the station (closed in 1965) formed out of white bricks on the side of ...
John Furnevel 13/05/2010
The station name has now reappeared at Racks (closed 1965), formed with white bricks [see image 19502]. Photographed looking east from the road bridge ...
John Furnevel 13/05/2010




A Carlisle shuttle approaching Dumfries on 13 September 2003 runs past the south sidings. ...
John Furnevel 13/09/2003
The south end of Dumfries on a Saturday afternoon in September 2003 looking back towards Annan Road bridge. A DMU heading for Carlisle is passing ...
John Furnevel 13/09/2003
Alternative use - the large former goods shed at Dumfries South in September 2003, adapted to operate as a supermarket. ...
John Furnevel 13/09/2003
A Jubilee at the south end of Dumfries. View is south west from the locomotive shed yard towards the goods yard, complete with a line of 'stored' ...
K A Gray //

A passenger terminus located in the later goods yard. replaced almost immediately by a two platform through station to its north (Dumfries [2nd]). Services from Dumfries to Carlisle may have continued to use the terminus. ...

More details


A two platform through station located alongside the later locomotive shed. Replaced a terminus in the goods yard to the south (Dumfries [1st]) and was replaced by a station further north (Dumfries). ...

More details

This shed was east of Dumfries station on the east side of the line. This single ended shed was approached from the south.
...

More details
An unidentified Crab stands in the shed yard at Dumfries circa 1961. ...
David Stewart //1961
McIntosh 3F 0-6-0T 56302 on shed at Dumfries on 26 August 1960. [Ref query 9418] ...
David Stewart 26/08/1960
The east side of the shed yard at Dumfries, photographed on 15 April 1963 [see image 3407]. ...
K A Gray 15/04/1963
Scene in Dumfries shed yard on 13 June 1959 with special guest ex-Great North of Scotland Railway 4-4-0 No 49 Gordon Highlander. The locomotive ...
A Snapper (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) /06/1959

This is a two platform station with red sandstone buildings and glazed canopies in the east of the centre of Dumfries. The station is noted for its fine station gardens.
...

More details
One of three superb paintings by Jo McSkimming for the People's Project at Dumfries Station. ...
John Yellowlees 02/08/2017
One of three lovely paintings by Jo McSkimming for the People's Project at Dumfries Station. ...
John Yellowlees 02/08/2017
An article about Louis Wall's impressive gardening work at Dumfries station was in autumn issue of The Scottish Gardener distributed with today's ...
(c) 2016 Google and (c) 2016 DigitalGlobe 28/10/2018
One of three superb paintings by Jo McSkimming for the People's Project at Dumfries Station. ...
John Yellowlees 02/08/2017


This junction is just to the north of Dumfries station and the Edinburgh Road Bridge.
...

More details
Novel little sign in Dumfries in the shadow of the closed Maxwelltown branch (formerly the Port Road) off the Nith Line. Tom Train refers to a certain ...
Brian Smith 18/03/2016
EWS 66235 passing Maxwelltown Goods Junction on the northern approach to Dumfries in April 2006 with a coal train from Killoch bound for Drax power ...
John Furnevel 17/04/2006
A Glasgow - Carlisle train passing the former junction with the Stranraer line north of Dumfries station in November 2005. The short branch serving ...
John Furnevel 10/11/2005
A Glasgow Central - Carlisle train north of Dumfries passing the junction with the former Port Road to Stranraer in April 2006. ...
John Furnevel 17/04/2006

This is a four arch viaduct over the River Nith. ...

More details
A Glasgow - Manchester train crosses Martinton Bridge over the River Nith in the summer of 1961 on the northern approach to Dumfries station. Polmadie ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 15/07/1961
Stanier Pacific 46224 Princess Alexandra crossing the Nith at Dumfries on 15 July 1961 with a parcels train heading for St Enoch. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 15/07/1961
A Blackpool - Glasgow train crossing the 1849 Martinton Bridge over the Nith north of Dumfries station on a summer Saturday in 1961. The locomotive is ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 15/07/1961
EWS 66238 crosses the River Nith on Martinton Bridge with a southbound coal train in May 2010 on the approach to Dumfries station. ...
John Furnevel 13/05/2010


This two platform station replaced Holywood [1st] station directly to the north over the level crossing. The relocation was some time around 1920. The main station building was on the northbound platform.
...

More details
Looking south towards Dumfries from behind the level crossing gates at Holywood on 30 August 2018, I was surprised to see that the platform was still ...
John McIntyre 30/08/2018
The station remains at Holywood, Dumfriesshire (closed 1949). Looking south from the level crossing in January 2006. ...
John Furnevel 31/01/2006

This was a two platform station to the north of the level crossing at Holywood. On the west side of the line was a large goods yard, approached from the north.
...

More details
The signal box at Holywood, Dumfries & Galloway, photographed in July 1998. ...
David Panton /07/1998
The signal box at Holywood, north of Dumfries, in 1998 looking west over the level crossing. ...
David Panton //1998
A southbound service on the ex-GSWR route about to run over Holywood level crossing on 10 June, heading for its next stop at Dumfries. This is one of ...
David Forbes 10/06/2009
Holywood signal box in January 2006, looking west over the crossing. ...
John Furnevel 31/01/2006

Unfortunately 'Ruston' reads like a very accurate description ...

...
Mark Wringe 01/05/2016
'Portrack Scottish Garden of Rails 2004' and GSWR main line bridge over the Nith, Charles Jencks Garden of Cosmic Speculation, Portrack House, ...
Mark Wringe 01/05/2016
'Portrack Scottish Garden of Rails 2004' and GSWR main line bridge over the Nith, Charles Jencks Garden of Cosmic Speculation, Portrack Ho, ...
Mark Wringe 01/05/2016
The annual open day at the Charles Jencks 'Garden of Cosmic Speculation' at Portrack House, north of Dumfries, on 1 May 2016. The GSWR main line can ...
Mark Wringe 01/05/2016

This was a two platform station. The main building was on the northbound platform and there was a goods yard on the west side, approached from the south. This yard was expanded. There was a water tank to the east of the station.
...

More details
A pair of former surfacemens' cottages near the site of Auldgirth station (behind the camera) looking south through the mist towards Dumfries in ...
John Furnevel 31/01/2006
A class 40 hauled southbound train passing Auldgirth signal box in October 1970. Auldgirth station (closed 1952) stands in the left background ...
John Furnevel 18/10/1970


This was a two platform station. The line remains open. ...

More details
The former station at Closeburn, Dumfriesshire, in January 2010. Entrance off the A76. [Ref query 10 October 2010] ...
John Furnevel 31/01/2006
Black 5 45010 pauses at Closeburn in July 1961 with a Dumfries - Glasgow train. [Ref query 783] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 15/07/1961
The former station at Closeburn alongside the A76 approximately 12 miles north of Dumfries, photographed in January 2006. The station closed to ...
John Furnevel 31/01/2006


Thornhill was a two platform station. It remains largely intact with platforms and two storey station building on the southbound platform. It is an excellent survivor. The station was north east of the town, about a mile.
...

More details
Looking across the tracks at the station building at Thornhill after the sun had set on 30 August 2018. ...
John McIntyre 30/08/2018
An evening view over the south end of Thornhill station as the sun sets on 30 August 2018. [Ref query 7 September 2018] ...
John McIntyre 30/08/2018
Thornhill, looking north from a passing train on the 31st of August, 1985. ...
Bill Roberton 31/08/1985
The refurbished station building at Thornhill in January 2006, with northbound coal empties passing. ...
John Furnevel /01/2006



This is a double track six arch masonry viaduct just south of the former Carronbridge station.
...

More details
A northbound parcels train crossing Carronbridge viaduct in October 1970.
...
John Furnevel 26/10/1970

This was a two platform station just north of the River Carron Viaduct. It had a goods yard to the south, on the east side, approached from the south.
...

More details
Approaching Carronbridge. Down Express. 5X 4.6.0 5729. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow //1941
On Saturday 27th May 1972, I spent most of the day in the Enterkinfoot/Carronbridge area on the G&SW main line, which was busy with diverted WCML ...
Bill Jamieson 27/05/1972
An unidentified Brush Type 4 brings the 1425 Stranraer Harbour - Newcastle Central through the closed station at Carronbridge. Thought to have been ...
Bruce McCartney Collection //
The station at Carronbridge circa 1940. ...
Ian Steele Collection //1940


This is a four arch double track viaduct which crosses the Enterkin Burn just north of Enterkinfoot. Also known as the Enterkinfoot Viaduct.
...

More details


These sidings were close to the summit of the line at Mennock. They were on the west side of the line and served from the north. They were located just south of the Mennock Water Viaduct.
...

More details
South of Mennock looking south. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Hurlford 2P 40686 pilots Holbeck Royal Scot 45113 Cameronian with the up Thames Clyde Express southbound between Mennock and Drumlanrig ...
David Stewart 26/08/1960
EE Type 1 8098 with a northbound freight running parallel with the A76 at Mennock on the GSWR main line south of Sanquhar in October 1970. ...
John Furnevel 26/10/1970


This two platform station re-opened in 1994. The former station building now offers accommodation.
...

More details
156511, on a Glasgow to Carlisle service, calls at Sanquhar on a fine 19 September 2017.
...
David Panton 19/09/2017
A collection of bygones (safely fenced off) at Sanquhar station in September 2017.
...
David Panton 19/09/2017
Black 5 45467 approaching Sanquhar on 15 July 1961 with a down freight. [Ref query 9929] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 15/07/1961
The well restored station building at Sanquhar, seen from the street on 19
...
David Panton 19/09/2017


This is a six arch double track viaduct north of Sanquhar station. ...

More details

This colliery was west of Sanquhar and on the north side of the railway.
...

More details


This is a two platform station. To the west is a signal box on the north side of the line. The main station building was at the west end of the westbound platform and a traditional basic waiting room was on the eastbound platform. Both have not survived having been demolished in the late 1990s. The platforms have glazed waiting shelters.
...

More details
Scotrail 156508 calls at Kirkconnel on 31 August 2018 whilst working the 1013hrs service from Glasgow Central to Carlisle. ...
John McIntyre 31/08/2018
The 11.25 to Carlisle (156 431) departs south into the mirk. ...
Colin Miller 17/01/2016
A displaced northbound Voyager passes at speed. A local expert (a bloke on the station) commented that he had not seen any 'dragged' Pendolinos, only ...
Colin Miller 18/01/2016
A southbound Voyager, a service diverted from the closed WCML due to the Lamington Viaduct damage, is held at the starter while an all stations ...
Colin Miller 18/01/2016


Black 5 44723 approaching New Cumnock with a St Enoch - Carlisle train on 29 July 1961. Bank Junction is visible in the background. [Ref query 1047] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow //
Virgin Voyager 221109 about to run through New Cumnock whilst working 1Z10, the shuttle from Carlisle to Glasgow Central, on 18 February 2016. ...
Ken Browne 18/02/2016
A northbound Class 156 approaches New Cumnock on 27 May 2010. ...
John McIntyre 27/05/2010
66079 stops in the loop at New Cumnock for instructions from yardman before proceeding into Crowbandsgate Coal Loading Point in April 2014. ...
Bill Hamilton /04/2014


66079 reversing into Crowbandsgate Coal Loading Point. ...
Bill Hamilton /04/2014

This was originally the branch for the New Cumnock Iron Works, called New Cumnock Iron Works Company's Branch Junction.
...

More details

Summit of 616 ft. There was a siding here, on the southbound line and reached by reversal. A cabin was opposite, on the west side of the line. The siding was served by a lane.
...

More details
Class 5 4-6-0 no 45100 with a summer Saturday Scarborough - Glasgow express near the summit at Polquhap on 29 July 1963. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 29/07/1963

This junction was east of Cumnock [2nd]. This gave access to the Muirkirk line without going via Lugar.
...

More details

A two platform station with a two storey building on the northbound platform. There was a generous goods yard to the south, accessed from the west.
...

More details
General view of Cumnock station looking north on 29 July 1961. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 29/07/1961