Racks was a two platform station. Initially a minimal station, station cottages/offices were built above platform level on the eastbound platform and a goods yard added on the north side, approached from the east. There were small waiting rooms on the platforms, a larger on the westbound.
Racks itself was to the west.
The station closed in 1965.
The signal box (1880) closed in 1975. The double track main line from Dumfries to Carlisle remains open.
The station cottages still stand, in use as houses.
| Ironhirst Signal Box|
Ramsey Place Junction
Dumfries Goods [CR]
Dumfries Gas Works
Heathhall Farm Bridge
Warrenhill Level Crossing
Wath Level Crossing
Dancing Knowe Level Crossing
Brasswell Level Crossing
Station Hotel Dumfries
Robert Burns House
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1854||Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway|
Dornock and Racks opened.
|/ /1965||Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway|
Cumnock, Racks, Ruthwell and Sanquhar stations closed.
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History