Solway Junction Railway

Introduction

This line is closed. The railway crossed the mile long Solway Viaduct which crossed the shifting sands of the Solway Firth. The railway was built in 1869 to carry haematite from Cumbria to the blast furnaces of Lanarkshire where local iron ore supplies were depleted. Closure as a through route was in 1921 due to the deteriorating viaduct.






Dates

  /  /1864Solway Junction Railway
Act receives Royal assent for a line consisting to two parts (Kirtlebridge to Kirkbride Junction and Abbeyholme Junction to Brayton), the first part crossing the considerable Solway Viaduct between Scotland an England. The Act included an Annan Waterfoot Branch which was not built.
  /  /1865Glasgow and South Western Railway Caledonian Railway
The Caledonian Railway, who were to work the Solway Junction Railway, is authorised to access the Glasgow and South Western Railway's Annan station via Solway Junction.
  /  /1865Maryport and Carlisle Railway
Running powers for the Caledonian Railway, who would work the Solway Junction Railway, obtained for the Maryport and Carlisle Railway between Brayton Junction and Brayton.
  /  /1867Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock
Running powers for the Caledonian Railway, who would work the Solway Junction Railway, obtained for the North British Railway owned line between Kirkbride Junction and Abbeyholme Junction.
13/09/1869Solway Junction Railway
Kirtlebridge to Annan (Shawhill) opened for goods.
13/09/1869Solway Junction Railway
Brayton Shed opened at Brayton with two roads, sidings and a turntable in the junction between the Solway Junction Railway and the Maryport and Carlisle Railway.
16/09/1869Solway Junction Railway
Abbey Junction [CR] (Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock) to Brayton opened for goods (Maryport and Carlisle Railway).
08/03/1870Solway Junction Railway
Kirtlebridge to Annan (Shawhill) opened for passengers.
08/08/1870Solway Junction Railway
Solway Junction Railway open throughout. Annan (Shawhill) to Kirkbride Junction over the Solway Viaduct and Abbey Junction [CR] to Brayton opened to passengers.
31/08/1870Solway Junction Railway
Abbey Junction [CR] opened.
09/09/1873Solway Junction Railway
The portion of the line from Kirtlebridge to Annan Shawhill is transferred to the Caledonian Railway.
  /  /1895Solway Junction Railway
Brayton Shed closed, but used to stable engines at night.
01/07/1895Solway Junction Railway
Section from Abbey Junction [CR] to Brayton transferred to the Caledonian Railway.
06/07/1895Solway Junction Railway
Act passed to merge the remainder of the Solway Junction Railway into the Caledonian Railway.
  /  /1896Solway Junction RailwayCaledonian Railway
Solway Junction Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway.
  /  /1904Solway Junction Railway
Brayton Shed demolished, turntable retained until at least 1923.
01/01/1917Solway Junction Railway
Abbey Junction [CR] closed.
02/03/1919Solway Junction Railway
Abbey Junction [CR] re-opened.
  /  /1921Solway Junction Railway
Brayton Shed site probably ceases to be used overnight when the Solway Viaduct closes.
20/05/1921Solway Junction Railway
Abbey Junction [CR] closed.
27/04/1931Solway Junction Railway
Annan Shawhill to Kirtlebridge closed to goods.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Kirtlebridge to Kirkbride

This was a small two platform station until the opening of the Solway Junction Railway in 1869. Reconstruction created a junction station. The station closed in 1960.
...

More details

See also
Caledonian Railway
West Coast Railway 37516 heads north on the WCML at Kirtlebridge on 1 June 2014 over the emergency crossovers running light engine Carnforth to ...
John McIntyre 01/06/2014
Looking north over the site of Kirtlebridge station and junction (for Annan and the Solway Viaduct) in 2010. Both have been oblitered with the ...
Ewan Crawford 15/04/2010
2 of 2 images.


While Annan station is south of the town, Annan Shawhill was to its east.
...

More details
The road approach to Annan Shawhill station in 1998 with the scrapyard that grew up around the old station (closed in 1931) dominating the scene. Atop ...
Ewan Crawford //1998
Looking south from the B721 road over the former station at Annan Shawhill on 12 October 2006 along the route that ran to the Solway Viaduct. The ...
John Furnevel 12/10/2006
2 of 2 images.


This junction was south of Annan Shawhill station on the Solway Junction Railway. A curve ran from the south to the west to meet the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway a little east of Annan station to allow interchange between the two lines. The Solway Viaduct was 3/4 of a mile to the south. The Solway Junction Railway was a single track line, although land was taken ...

More details
After crossing north over the Solway Viaduct the Solway Junction Railway headed for Annan Shawhill station. On its way the line crossed this more ...
John Furnevel 21/05/2008
1 of 1 images.


This was a mile long (1950 yd although sources vary) single bridge crossing the Solway Firth between Annan, in Scotland on the north bank, and Bowness, in England on the south bank. As John Thomas described it this was 'the most exciting rail link between Scotland and England'.
...

More details
Last stand. Rusting cast iron columns and oxide stained rocks mark the southern remains of the Solway Viaduct. View across the firth towards the town ...
John Furnevel 06/11/2007
Last remnants of the Solway Viaduct at the south end in 1997. ...
Ewan Crawford //1997
A view from the remains of the Solway Viaduct looking towards Annan on 17/08/2016. I believe the viaduct was finally dismantled in 1935. ...
Brian Smith 18/08/2016
View of both Solway Viaduct embankments, as seen from the area known as Back of the Hill in Annan on 31st January 2016 ...
Mark Bartlett 31/01/2016
4 of 16 images. more


This station was just to the south of the Solway Viaduct. The line was single track and the station had a loop and two platforms. The main building was on the southbound platform.
...

More details
View north at Bowness along the causeway towards the former Solway Viaduct in 2002. ...
Mike Shannon /03/2002
Bowness station, now a house, viewed from the road. The viaduct was behind and to the right. ...
Mike Shannon /03/2002
View south over the site of Bowness station in 2002.
...
Mike Shannon /03/2002
View north at Bowness along the causeway towards the former Solway Viaduct in 2002. ...
Mike Shannon /03/2002
4 of 6 images. more


Whitrigg looking west in 2002. The line ran left-right on the far side of the house seen here.
...
Mike Shannon /03/2002
1 of 1 images.




At this junction the 1869 Solway Junction Railway met the existing 1856 Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock. To the north was the route to the Solway Viaduct and to the east that to Carlisle. The route south west was to Silloth and, via Brayton, to the West Cumberland iron and steel works and iron ore mines.
...

More details

See also
Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock





Annan Curve

This junction was south of Annan Shawhill station on the Solway Junction Railway. A curve ran from the south to the west to meet the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway a little east of Annan station to allow interchange between the two lines. The Solway Viaduct was 3/4 of a mile to the south. The Solway Junction Railway was a single track line, although land was taken ...

More details
After crossing north over the Solway Viaduct the Solway Junction Railway headed for Annan Shawhill station. On its way the line crossed this more ...
John Furnevel 21/05/2008
1 of 1 images.


This was a double track junction east of Annan station. It was formed in 1869 between the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway (the Glasgow and South Western Railway's main line) and a curve to the new Solway Junction Railway (owned by the Caledonian Railway).
...

More details

See also
Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway
Just east of Annan station 156435 takes to the single track as it heads for Carlisle. By modern (slightly peculiar) naming standards the train would ...
Ewan Crawford //1998
The bridge, seen here, which formerly carried the Solway Junction Railway over the G&SWR later bore the effluent pipeline from Chapelcross. Shawhill ...
Ewan Crawford //1998
Solway Junction, looking east, in 1998. The line to Carlisle (left) has since been doubled and the line to the Solway Viaduct (right - now a series of ...
Ewan Crawford //1998
The 1410 service to Newcastle (ex-Glasgow Central) seen just after leaving Annan station on 13 May having passed below Station Road bridge. The train ...
John Furnevel 13/05/2010
4 of 9 images. more





Abbey Junction to Brayton

This was a single platform, part of an exchange station. It was built on the Solway Junction Railway (opened to goods and minerals in 1869) alongside Abbey Junction [NBR], just to its east (and a little to the south) such that the single platform was conjoined with the Silloth bound platform of the Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock of 1856. The junction itself, ...

More details


This was a single platform station, about half a mile south west of Bromfield itself, a small village. It was also south of Bromfield Hall.
...

More details




This junction was east of Brayton station. The southern end of the Solway Junction Railway, controlled by the Caledonian Railway, joined the Maryport and Carlisle Railway at a junction which allowed access to the Solway line from the south. This line is the railway which crossed the Solway Firth on the mile long Solway Viaduct.
...

More details

See also
Maryport and Carlisle Railway