Opened on the Caledonian Railway.
Opened on the Solway Junction Railway.
This was a small two platform station until the opening of the Solway Junction Railway in 1869. Reconstruction created a junction station. The station closed in 1960.
The station was half a mile west of Kirtlebridge itself closer to modern day Eaglesfield. The site was surrounded by former limestone quarries.
The station was originally two platforms with a small goods yard on the west side of the line, approached by reversal from the station.
After rebuilding it was a large station with many sidings. There were three platforms, two on the main line and the northbound an island having a second face for the Solway line trains. To the north of this was a locomotive shed (Kirtlebridge Shed) with sidings on the west side. Alongside the branch were sidings served from the north. The goods yard was on the east side of the main line, south of the station and served from the south.
The main station building was on the southbound mainline platform, with a large goods shed just to the south.
There were three signal boxes at the station. Kirtlebridge Junction North (by the junction), Kirtlebridge Junction south (on the main line to the south) and Kirtlebridge Brick Works Signal Box (on the branch). These were replaced with Kirtlebridge Junction box, on the island platform, in 1880.
Tramways served remaining limestone quarries. One of these crossed both main and branch lines south of the station.
A goods line ran south with the branch, on its east side, to Bonshaw Tile Works.
The branch south over the Solway Viaduct closed in 1921, cut back to Annan Shawhill. The line south of Kirtlebridge closed in 1931 (goods after 1939, save for access to a Second World War airfield RAF Annan). Mossfoot Ammunition Depot (MOD) was established here on the west side of the branch, served by a complex of sidings. This portion survived until the 1960s. By closure a number of banks had been erected at regular intervals between the junction and the site of Corsehill Quarry.
The station survived until 1960 when it closed along with most of the stations served by the stopping service on the main line.
The box closed in 1971, taken over by Lockerbie.
Little remains of the station today. The junction site is crossed over by the A74(M). The station site is a small industrial estate. Some former railway cottages remain nearby.
The Kirtlebridge Viaduct is to the south east.
Gretna Green [1st]
Other railway and industry locations
Kirtlebridge Brick Works Signal Box
Bonshaw Tile Works
Bonshaw Clay Pit
Chapelcross Power Station
Cove Quarry Signal Box
Mossfoot Ammunition Depot
Thomas Carlyle^s Birthplace
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)
Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)
Caledonian Railway Carriages
Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style
Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock
Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press
Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Callander & Oban Railway Through Time
Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)
Signalling the Caledonian Railway
The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s
The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway
Vanished Railways of West Lothian