Wamphray

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Wamphray (1847-1960)

Opened on the Caledonian Railway.


Description

This was a two platform station with a small goods yard on the east side, approached from the south. The line runs on an embankment.

The area is of farmed land with relatively low population. The location is perhaps better known as Newton, the name of the small village to the west. The former station is also sometimes referred to as Newton Wamphray. Wamphray Church is just under two miles to the north east

The station house remains in use as a house. The gable ends are unusual and are not quite crow stepped, having slopes between the steps.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map