Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock

Introduction

This line is closed.






Dates

  /  /1855[Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company]
Act receives Royal assent.
22/08/1856[Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company]
Abbey opened.
22/08/1856[Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company]
Abbeyholme opened.
31/08/1870[Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company]
Abbeyholme renamed Abbey Junction.
  /  /1880[Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company]
[North British Railway]
Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company absorbed by North British Railway.
  /08/1889[Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company]
Abbey renamed Abbey Town.
  /08/1889[Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company]
Abbey Town opened.
01/09/1921[Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company]
Abbey Junction closed.
07/09/1964[Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company]
Abbey Town closed.
07/09/1964[Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company]
Line closed to passengers.
06/01/1969[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway][Marquis of Lothians Waggonway][Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)][Border Union Railway][Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company]
Edinburgh (Portobello East Junction) to Hawick to Carlisle (Port Carlisle Junction) closed to passengers. Newtongrange, Gorebridge, Tynehead, Heriot, Fountainhall, Stow, Galashiels [1st], Melrose, St Boswells, Hassendean, Hawick [2nd], Stobs, Shankend, Riccarton Junction, Steele Road, Newcastleton stations closed.
06/01/1969[Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company]
Canal Junction to Port Carlisle Junction closed to all traffic.

Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This was an island platform junction station. It opened in 1856 when the Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock line opened to Silloth, extending the Port Carlisle Dock and Railway line and leaving Port Carlisle and Glasson on a short branch.
...

More details
Drumburgh junction looking east to the station in 1998. The viewpoint is from the trackbed of the Port Carlisle line (which had formerly been crossed ...
Ewan Crawford //1998


The station building at Kirkbride on the Silloth branch, closed in 1964 and now a private residence. The trees stand on the old platform and trackbed. ...
Mark Bartlett 03/02/2013

At this junction the 1869 Solway Junction Railway met the existing 1856 Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock. To the north was the route to the Solway Viaduct and to the east that to Carlisle. The route south west was to Silloth and, via Brayton, to the West Cumberland iron and steel works and iron ore mines.
...

More details


This exchange station opened in 1870 with the opening of the Solway Junction Railway to passengers. It was built on the existing Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock of 1856.
...

More details

This was a single platform station with a single platform, just to the west of Abbey Junction [NBR]. It was located in the north of the village of Abbey Town.
...

More details



This terminus had a single very long platform with a station building at its west end. It was located to the east of the Marshall Dock and New Dock. From the docks the North British Railway operated steamer services to locations such as Dublin. In addition to being a port and packet station it was hoped that Silloth could be developed as a resort (indeed the Silloth Sanatorium opened to guests ...

More details
Scene in the yard at Silloth on 13 June 1964 as CR123 is serviced following its arrival with the RCTS Solway Ranger. The locomotive had brought ...
K A Gray 13/06/1964
No 49 Gordon Highlander stands on Silloth shed on 13 June 1964, having arrived earlier with The Solway Ranger. ...
K A Gray 13/06/1964
The locomotive shed at Silloth was officially closed in July 1953. Gordon Highlander stands on the old shed site 11 years later, following ...
K A Gray 13/06/1964
CR123 on the site of Silloth shed on 13 June 1964, following arrival with the Solway Ranger from Carlisle [see image 39700]. ...
K A Gray 13/06/1964