Newcastle and Carlisle Railway

Introduction

This line is open with a short portions in Carlisle and another in Gateshead closed. The line provides a coast to coast long distance crossing of Britain and serves the western suburbs of Newcastle. It follows the course of the Tyne, crosses the watershed and then course of the Eden.



Dates

22/05/1829[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Company formed. Surveyed by George Stephenson. Lord Carlisle supports the project if it will pass Milton and connect with his [Earl of Carlisles Waggonway].
  /  /1830[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Construction of Wetheral viaduct begins. John Dobson of Newcastle is architect for the bridges. Benjamin Green is architect for the stations.
  /03/1835[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Hexham to Blaydon opened. Initially there are no platforms at stations.
  /  /1836[Earl of Carlisles Waggonway]
[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Link put in at Milton to allow horse-drawn carriages to run between Brampton Town and Milton. Later agent Edmonson at Milton (Brampton Jnct) invents pre-printed tickets with a dispenser
  /06/1836[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Haydon Bridge to Hexham opened.
19/07/1836[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Carlisle London Road to Greenhead opened.
  /03/1837[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Blaydon to Redheugh, Gateshead opened and a ferry operates to Newcastle.
09/03/1837[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Branch to basin on the Carlisle and Port Carlisle Canal in Carlisle opened. The terminus later became Canal yard and was an interchange point with the [North British Railway] who acquired the [Carlisle and Port Carlisle Railway and Dock Company].
18/06/1838[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Greenhead to Haydon Bridge opened.
  /  /1839[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Blaydon to Newcastle along the north bank of the Tyne opened, and line extended to Gateshead.
26/08/1846[Alston Branch] ([Newcastle and Carlisle Railway])
Branch to Alston authorised.
01/08/1848[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
George Hudson gains controls of the line.
01/01/1850[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Company gains independence from George Hudson.
17/11/1852[Alston Branch] ([Newcastle and Carlisle Railway])
Alston branch opened.
17/07/1862[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
[North Eastern Railway]
Newcastle and Carlisle Railway merges with the North Eastern Railway.
01/01/1863[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Trains start to run into Carlisle Citadel station.
  /  /1864Border Counties RailwayNewcastle and Carlisle Railway
First train runs from Newcastle Central to Riccarton Junction.
  /  /1871[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Naworth, the Earl of Carlisles private station, becomes public.
  /  /1881[Earl of Carlisles Waggonway]
[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Steam introduced on Brampton Town branch.
  /  /1890[Earl of Carlisles Waggonway]
[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Board of Trade closes Brampton Town branch following an inspection.
01/08/1913[Earl of Carlisles Waggonway]
[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Brampton Town branch re-instated.
01/03/1917[Earl of Carlisles Waggonway]
[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Brampton Town branch closed during war.
01/03/1920[Earl of Carlisles Waggonway]
[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Brampton Town branch re-opened.
29/10/1923[Earl of Carlisles Waggonway]
[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Brampton Town branch closed to passengers and soon after completely.
  /  /1950[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Allendale Town line closed.
  /  /1959[Alston Branch] ([Newcastle and Carlisle Railway])
DMUs start to run on the branch, Alston engine shed closes.
05/01/1959[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
How Mill closed.
02/11/1959[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Scotby closed.
  /  /1965[Alston Branch] ([Newcastle and Carlisle Railway])
Freight is withdrawn and Beeching recommends closure of the line. The line is reprieved as there is no all weather road to Alston.
  /  /1967[Alston Branch] ([Newcastle and Carlisle Railway])
Alston stations overall roof is removed.
  /01/1967[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Wetheral and Heads Nook closed.
03/05/1976[Alston Branch] ([Newcastle and Carlisle Railway])
Alston branch closed.
  /  /1980[Alston Branch] ([Newcastle and Carlisle Railway])
Decision taken to open a narrow-gauge line northwards from Alston.
05/10/1981[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Wetheral re-opened.
  /  /1983[Alston Branch] ([Newcastle and Carlisle Railway])
Line re-opens as the South Tynedale Railway.
  /  /1996[Alston Branch] ([Newcastle and Carlisle Railway])
Lambley viaduct re-opened after restoration as a footpath.
  /  /1999[Alston Branch] ([Newcastle and Carlisle Railway])
South Tynedale Railway extended to Kirkhaugh from Gilderdale.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Newcastle to Blaydon

This was the original terminus of the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway in Newcastle opened on the 21st of May 1839, the east end of an extension built from Blaydon over the River Tyne via the Scotswood Viaduct and along the north bank. It immediately replaced Redheugh as the terminus for Newcastle and was on the western edge of Newcastle in undeveloped land high above the Tyne, three ...

More details
A view looking north taken in 2005 in the approximate locale of the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway's original terminus in Newcastle. Forth Junction ...
Ewan Crawford 05/05/2005

Railway Terrace on the south side of the line, in a view looking east. ...
Ewan Crawford 06/12/2001

This was an island platform station west of Newcastle. It served the Elswick Works, situated between the railway and the River Tyne to the south, and the west end of Elswick, largely a housing development for the works.
...

More details
40135 photographed on the old Newcastle - Carlisle route at Elswick c1983 when the route was still in use for freight. ...
Colin Alexander //1983

This station is closed. It grew to be a large four platform junction station with two platforms on the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway's 1839 approach to Newcastle from Blaydon (Scotswood first appears in timetables around 1848) and two further platforms opened to the north on the Scotswood, Newburn and Wylam Railway in 1875.
...

More details

This is a disused double track girder viaduct over the River Tyne in the west of Newcastle. It was an important part of the line from Newcastle Central to Carlisle.
...

More details
Looking southwest at the Scotswood Viaduct from the north bank. This carried the Newcastle Branch to Forth Banks from a junction with the line to ...
Ewan Crawford //
Looking north to Scotswood. The line to Wylam ran west from a junction at the far end of the viaduct. Scotswood station had platforms on both lines. ...
Ewan Crawford 26/09/2006
Looking north at Scotswood and the viaduct from the south bank of the Tyne. ...
Ewan Crawford 26/09/2006
Photograph taken from the high ground on the north bank of the Tyne at Scotswood on a Sunday morning in May 2006. View is south over Scotswood Road ...
John Furnevel 07/05/2006


K1 2-6-0 no 62022 stands alongside 52C Blaydon Shed on 26 March 1961. ...
K A Gray 26/03/1961
Gresley class K2 2-6-0 no 61753 photographed on Blaydon shed in June 1958. The locomotive is standing on the departure line waiting to work south. ...
K A Gray 29/06/1958

Westbound Sprinter entering Blaydon. The box is aligned to the closed and lifted Blaydon-Scotswood-Newcastle route. ...
Ewan Crawford 26/09/2006
Blaydon box now looks out at ... a dirt road. It controlled the junction between the Newcastle and Gateshead routes. Until closure of Scotswood ...
Ewan Crawford 26/09/2006
Looking north towards Blaydon signal box in May 2006. The box is angled towards the trackbed of the line that once turned off here to cross Scotswood ...
John Furnevel 07/05/2006




Gateshead to Blaydon

This was the eastern terminus of the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway in Gateshead, on the south bank of the River Tyne by a quayside. The line was extended from Blaydon to Redheugh in 1837 and reached Newcastle via Scotswood in 1839, after which the Redheugh line was the branch.
...

More details









Westbound Sprinter entering Blaydon. The box is aligned to the closed and lifted Blaydon-Scotswood-Newcastle route. ...
Ewan Crawford 26/09/2006
Blaydon box now looks out at ... a dirt road. It controlled the junction between the Newcastle and Gateshead routes. Until closure of Scotswood ...
Ewan Crawford 26/09/2006
Looking north towards Blaydon signal box in May 2006. The box is angled towards the trackbed of the line that once turned off here to cross Scotswood ...
John Furnevel 07/05/2006




Blaydon to Carlisle

Westbound Sprinter entering Blaydon. The box is aligned to the closed and lifted Blaydon-Scotswood-Newcastle route. ...
Ewan Crawford 26/09/2006
Blaydon box now looks out at ... a dirt road. It controlled the junction between the Newcastle and Gateshead routes. Until closure of Scotswood ...
Ewan Crawford 26/09/2006
Looking north towards Blaydon signal box in May 2006. The box is angled towards the trackbed of the line that once turned off here to cross Scotswood ...
John Furnevel 07/05/2006

Blaydon is a two platform station with a small car park, just a lane, to the south.
...

More details
This footbridge was the sole surviving part of the station rebuilding of 1912 in 1997. It was formerly covered. The bridge has since been replaced ...
Ewan Crawford //1997
A wet Sunday morning in May 2006 looking east along the platforms at Blaydon station. The outline of Blaydon signal box can just be seen in the ...
John Furnevel 07/05/2006
Stranraer - Newcastle SPT liveried Sprinter at Blaydon. ...
Ewan Crawford /11/1997


This was a two platform station serving Ryton, just a little to the south. The station was on the south bank of the River Tyne. There were building on each platform, station house on the eastbound. There were no goods facilities.
...

More details
Scene at Peth Lane Level Crossing, Ryton, in October 1990. A Railfreight Class 47 suddenly becomes visible on the crossing. In the background is the ...
Charlie Niven /10/1990

This is a two platform station with staggered platforms on either side of a level crossing. The station has an old station building, fine gantry signal box over the line to the west of the level crossing and NER footbridge over the line to the east of the crossing. The eastbound platform is to the west of the crossing and westbound to the east. The station building, partly of two storeys and in ...

More details
Wylam's signalbox and station viewed from a 125. ECML diversions via Carlisle today. ...
John Yellowlees 17/09/2016
The notable signal box at Wylam on the morning of 7 May 2006. Photographed from the station footbridge looking west towards Hexham. ...
John Furnevel 07/05/2006
Ballast machine running east through Wylam station on 7 August 2012 heading towards Newcastle. ...
John Steven 07/08/2012
Whiling away the long dark hours at Wylam box. ...
Ewan Crawford 29/02/2004

View east over West Wylam Junction looking to Newcastle. Note, on the left side, the Wylam Viaduct through the trees. ...
Ewan Crawford 09/11/2003

This is a two platform station. There is a car park to the south and level crossing to the west. The station buildings have not survived but the NER footbridge is at the west end of the platforms. The signal box is on the north side of the line, west of the crossing. A railway house to the north of the station survives.
...

More details
Looking west to the level crossing at Prudhoe in 1998. The large building to the left is now gone, it is the site of the station car park today. ...
Ewan Crawford //1998
A misty morning in the Tyne Valley at Prudhoe on 7 May 2006. Platform view west over Station Road level crossing, looking towards Hexham and Carlisle. ...
John Furnevel 07/05/2006
The impressive looking signal box at Prudhoe, Northumberland, on a damp and overcast morning in May 2006. View is east towards Newcastle from the ...
John Furnevel 07/05/2006
A damp and gloomy morning but Prudhoe Castle can just be seen on the hill to the south of the station. Prudhoe is now devoid of all original buildings ...
Mark Bartlett 04/10/2013



This is a two platform station with a fine NER footbridge. There is a car park to the south.
...

More details
Stocksfield looking east to Newcastle in 1998. The building to the right is a former railway cottage rather than station building. The odd angle to ...
Ewan Crawford //1998
The station buildings have gone at Stocksfield but the waiting shelters are traditional as well as substantially built and the distinctive footbridge ...
Mark Bartlett 04/10/2013

This is a two platform station at Riding Mill, just to the east of Riding. The two storey stone built station building on the westbound platform is now a house and coffee shop The Station Coffee House Riding Mill . An attractive footbridge crosses between the platforms.
...

More details
A service from Stranraer to Newcastle pauses at Riding Mill in 1998. The view looks west. ...
Ewan Crawford //1998
The attractive station building at Riding Mill, Northumberland, opened by the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway in 1835. View is west from the footbridge ...
John Furnevel 07/05/2006
Sunday morning at Riding Mill. Platform view west towards Carlisle through the station footbridge on 7 May 2006. ...
John Furnevel 07/05/2006
ScotRail 156465 passes through Riding Mill station on a Newcastle bound service that started at Glasgow Central and travelled via the G&SW route. ...
Mark Bartlett 04/10/2013

This is a two platform station. The platforms pass under the Tinkler's Bank road bridge. The station building, stone and of two storeys, is on the eastbound platform on the east side of the road bridge. The building is fitted with a platform canopy. The station opened in 1835, a year after this portion of the line.
...

More details
Corbridge looking west to Carlisle. ...
Ewan Crawford /11/1997
Corbridge station forecourt showing the old station buildings and station masters house in May 2006. The location is now an Indian restaurant. ...
John Furnevel 08/05/2006
A Sunderland - Hexham train pulls into the westbound platform at Corbridge in May 2006. The impressive main station building, part of which can be ...
John Furnevel 08/05/2006
The imposing building on the eastbound platform at Corbridge. View north across the Newcastle & Carlisle line in May 2006. The road on the left leads ...
John Furnevel 08/05/2006

This is a level crossing with the B6321 half a mile west of Corbridge. A crossing keepers cottage remains here on the south side of the line and west of the road. ...

More details
Running eastwards through the Tyne Valley a train of coal from Scotland approaches Corbridge station hauled by a DBS Class 66. This view was taken ...
Mark Bartlett 08/06/2013
A Northern rail Newcastle to Carlisle service crosses the B6321 just west of Corbridge on 30 May 2010. ...
John Steven 30/05/2010

This is a two platform station on the line between Newcastle and Carlisle. It is probably the most important intermediary station. The station is a little to the north of Hexham's town centre.
...

More details
Train for Middlesbrough stands at Hexham in February 2007. ...
John Furnevel /02/2007
156490 on a Newcastle - Carlisle service at Hexham station on 25 September. ...
John Steven 25/09/2011
The old surviving water tower at Hexham, standing alongside the site of the former locomotive shed, just to the east of the station. Photographed ...
John Furnevel 10/05/2006
156448 arrives at a clean and bright Hexham station with a stopping service from Newcastle that will terminate here. Departure for the return trip ...
Mark Bartlett 02/05/2016

This was the junction between the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway (opened here in 1836), the Border Counties Railway (opened here in 1858) and the Hexham and Allendale Railway (opened here in 1867. All three of these lines were opened in portions.
...

More details
Newcastle bound Sprinter runs east towards Border Counties Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford /11/1997
V2 4771 Green Arrow running wrong line near Border Counties Junction to the west of Hexham c 1985 with The Citadel railtour. ...
Colin Alexander //1985
Looking east at the former Border Counties Junction. The base of the signalbox can be seen in the distance. This box controlled both the Border ...
Ewan Crawford /11/1997
A mile west along the Tyne from Hexham station is the site of Border Counties Junction. Here the Carlisle line continues west while the trackbed of ...
John Furnevel 07/05/2006

This was a two platform station to the south east of the village of Fourstones. The main station building was on the eastbound platform with awaiting room on the westbound.
...

More details
Fourstones looking west. ...
Ewan Crawford 27/09/2006
Fourstones looking east. ...
Ewan Crawford 27/09/2006
Fourstones station closed in 1967 and all trace of platforms and buildings has been removed with only the boarded crossing remaining. The River South ...
Mark Bartlett 05/06/2013





This is a two platform station. There is a car park on the south side. To the west is a level crossing and a signal box, on the north side of the line and east of the crossing.
...

More details
The level crossing at Haydon Bridge, Northumberland, in September 2003. At this time the crossing gates were still manually operated using a wheel ...
John Furnevel 22/09/2003
156487 departs from Haydon Bridge with a service to Carlisle on 17 October 2006. ...
John McIntyre 17/10/2006
Haydon Bridge looking east at the signal box, level crossing and gates. The gates seen here in 1998 are now replaced with barriers. ...
Ewan Crawford //1998
Carlisle train leaving Haydon Bridge in October 2006. ...
John McIntyre /10/2006

This is a two platform station. The eastbound platform is stone and the westbound is timber, it being relocated east from its original location - platforms were originally staggered. The site of the westbound was a siding.
...

More details
Looking along the platform at Bardon Mill station, Northumberland, on Sunday morning 7 May 2006. View is east towards Hexham. ...
John Furnevel 07/05/2006
A switched-out Bardon Mill signal box on Sunday 7 May 2006, looking west towards Carlisle. ...
John Furnevel 07/05/2006
Standing in the rain at the exit from the eastbound platform (behind the camera) at Bardon Mill station on Sunday morning 7 May 2006. Ahead lies ...
John Furnevel 07/05/2006
Newcastle - Stranraer and Carlisle - Newcastle trains cross at Bardon Mill in October 2006. ...
John McIntyre /10/2006


These sidings were a loading location for the opencast mine at Plenmeller, to the south. A conveyor system, around a mile and a half long, crossed the River South Tyne and passed through a tunnel to reach the opencast site on Plenmeller Common.
...

More details


This is a two platform station in West End, to the west of the village of Haltwhistle's centre. The station is in excellent condition. There is a stone built building on the eastbound platform, timber on the westbound, elevated and disused signal box is at the east end of the westbound platform alongside the footbridge. A very large water tank survives in the former goods yard to the north west of ...

More details
The 22.00 to Newcastle-upon-Tyne pauses at Haltwhistle on 2nd August. The light in the signal box is deceptive - it is no longer in use. ...
Ken Strachan 02/08/2017
68001 & 68026 with a nuclear fuel wagon bound for Sellafield, ex Hartlepool Power Station. ...
Peter Todd 24/07/2017
A steam era water column on the west bound line at Haltwhistle. ...
Peter Todd 24/07/2017
The water tank on the Newcastle bound side of Haltwhistle station still looking amazingly fresh, taken on 17/05/2015. [See image 48745] ...
Brian Smith 17/05/2015


This was a two platform station on the west bank of the Tipalt Burn. Greenhead has a north-south alignment as the generally east-west route of the line between Newcastle and Carlisle crosses from the Tyne watershed to the Eden watershed here. The westbound platform was on the west side.
...

More details
Greenhead, very much living up to its name, on a very wet day in 1997. The view looks to Carlisle with the former station's building in the background ...
Ewan Crawford 04/08/1997
Looking across the tracks at the north end of the former Greenhead station to the still functioning coal yard in 1997. The yard remains in operation ...
Ewan Crawford 04/08/1997

This was a two platform station. From Gildland the line west to Carlisle follows the south bank of the River Irthing. To the east towards Newcastle it turns away from the Irthing, first east and then south to cross high ground to reach the west bank of the Tipalt Burn before it joins the River South Tyne. This station is closed, but the line remains open.
...

More details
View north across the Newcastle & Carlisle line in September 2011 towards the former Gilsland station. Closed to passengers in 1967, the building is ...
Andrew Wilson 06/09/2011
Leaving Gilsland, Sprinter 156480 has just crossed a surviving section of Hadrian's Wall. This is in the old vicarage garden and clearly visible from ...
Mark Bartlett 07/06/2013
Known in the past for its sulphurous spa waters, the village of Gilsland stands alongside Hadrians Wall, straddling the border between Northumberland ...
John Furnevel 06/05/2006

Just to the west of the former Gilsland station the Newcastle - Carlisle line crosses the Poltross Burn on this impressive structure. ...
Andrew Wilson 06/09/2011



This was a two platform station to the east of a level crossing. The goods yard was to the west, on the north side of the line and approached from the east. A loop ran round the south side of the westbound platform, leading to a siding to the east. To the west was a siding and turnplate for Carricks Factory, to the south.
...

More details
A westbound train passing the site of Low Row station, between Haltwhistle and Brampton, on 17 July 2015. The DMU has just passed the new signal box ...
Ken Strachan 17/07/2015
A sprinter heads west from the level crossing at Low Row. ...
Ewan Crawford 27/02/2004
The signal box standing alongside the level crossing and former station at Low Row on the Newcastle and Carlisle line near Brampton, Cumbria, looking ...
John Furnevel 06/05/2006

This was a two platform station to the east of a level crossing built for Naworth Castle, half a mile to the north. Platforms were staggered with the eastbound platform west of the level crossing and the westbound to the east. Opposite this on the north side was a two storey stone building station building on a short length of additional eastbound platform. The main platforms had timber ...

More details
The closed station of Naworth, Cumbria, on the Newcastle - Carlisle line. Photographed in May 2006, some 54 years after closure. ...
John Furnevel 06/05/2006

View looking west at Milton signal box. ...
Ewan Crawford //
This small signal box (with suitably economical signalman's transport) is east of Brampton station. ...
Ken Strachan 02/08/2017

This is a two platform station. Facilities are minimal, platform shelters and a fine footbridge. The station is around a mile and three quarters from Brampton itself, to the north west.
...

More details




This was a two platform station and is now just a level crossing. The platforms were staggered with the westbound on the west side of the level crossing and eastbound to the east. Opposite the westbound siding was a looped siding, serving a loading bank. The eastbound platform was narrow, with a siding to its north, approached from the east. The signal box was on the south side of the line, east ...

More details

This was a two platform station. The main building was by the westbound platform with a timber waiting room on the platform. The passenger station was west of an overbridge and to the east was the goods yard, which was on the north side and reached by reversal. The line is in a cutting.
...

More details



A grey, wet afternoon, looking south over Great Corby level crossing on the Newcastle and Carlisle line on 12 May 2006. The sign points the way to ...
John Furnevel 12/05/2006
Corby Gates signal box at Great Corby, Cumbria on 23rd October 2017. A still working mechanical box on the Carlisle to Newcastle line on the east side ...
Brian Smith 29/11/2017
A freight heads east past Great Corby box on the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway in 2004. ...
Ewan Crawford 29/02/2004
View north towards the signal box and level crossing in the village of Great Corby, North Cumbria, during a wet afternoon on 12 May 2006. A Stranraer ...
John Furnevel 12/05/2006

Known principally until relatively recently as the Corby Viaduct this is a five arch masonry double track viaduct over the River Eden. It was built between 1830 and 1834. The viaduct carries a footpath on the north side. It is immediately east of Wetheral station and not far west of Corby Gates Signal Box. The name Corby Viaduct now applies to the bridge east of Corby Gates. ...

More details
Eastbound Pacer crosses the Wetherall Viaduct. ...
Ewan Crawford //
The Wetheral Viaduct was known as Corby Bridge and marked thus on Ordnance Survey maps. This name is less common today, perhaps to avoid confusion ...
Ewan Crawford //1998
An unexpected Rail Operations Group train leaving Wetheral viaduct on 10/09/2016 approaching Great Corby heading towards Newcastle. So unexpected was ...
Brian Smith 10/09/2016
A Sellafield bound train crossing The Corby Bridge/Wetheral viaduct towards Wetheral station on 01/08/2016. ...
Brian Smith 18/08/2016

This is a two platform station with a fine footbridge and timber waiting shelter on the eastbound platform. It is immediately west of Wetheral Viaduct which crosses the River Eden. A modern, but traditionally styled, brick and timber shelter is on the westbound platform. A stone built railway building, now a house, with a glazed canopy is at the east end of the eastbound platform. Platforms ...

More details
A Carlisle to Newcastle Pacer calls at Wetheral on 21 January 2017. ...
John McIntyre 21/01/2017
A rainy day at Wetheral on 12 May 2006 looking west towards Carlisle. The 1836 station, closed in 1967 and reopened in 1981 as an unstaffed halt, also ...
John Furnevel 12/05/2006
Wetheral station seen in 1998 from the south showing the footbridge and buildings. The viaduct is off to the right. ...
Ewan Crawford //1998
A4 Pacific no 4498 Sir Nigel Gresley eastbound on the Newcastle & Carlisle line near Wetheral on 27 August 1967. The train is an A4 Locomotive ...
Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 27/08/1967

This was a two platform station in the north of Scotby, to the east of Carlisle.
...

More details

The eastern approach to Carlisle in February 2007. Freightliner 66603 passes Durranhill with empty coal hoppers off the N&C route. The suburb of ...
John Furnevel 26/02/2007
A First ScotRail class 156 DMU takes the Newcastle line east out of Carlisle through Durranhill on 26 February 2007 with a through service from ...
John Furnevel 26/02/2007
Looking west towards Petteril Bridge Junction on 5 August 1967 as Workington based Black 5 no 44715 is halted with a freight alongside Durranhill up ...
K A Gray 05/08/1967
An eastbound service leaving Carlisle on the Newcastle line passes the site of London Road yard on 26 February 2007. On the far left running alongside ...
John Furnevel 26/02/2007

'Green at last...' Northbound coal empties off the Settle & Carlisle line finally get the clear after a lengthy hold up at Petteril Bridge ...
John Furnevel 26/02/2007
The RCTS (West Riding Branch) Borders Rail Tour from Leeds City stopped short of Petteril Bridge Junction, Carlisle, on 9 July 1961. Stanier ...
K A Gray 09/07/1961



It may have lost its informal awning [see image 38289]; but against all the odds, the goods depot at London Road (formerly the original terminus of ...
Ken Strachan 01/08/2017
London Road Goods seen from an eastbound train, a diversion heading for the S&C from the closed WCML in 1989. ...
Ewan Crawford 25/03/1989
Carlisle London Road, the former terminus, viewed from the east. ...
Ewan Crawford //
The overgrown former London Road station, Carlisle, viewed from the east in May 2003. London Road itself (A6) can be seen running past the site in the ...
John Furnevel 25/05/2003




Newcastle [Forth] Extension

This was the original terminus of the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway in Newcastle opened on the 21st of May 1839, the east end of an extension built from Blaydon over the River Tyne via the Scotswood Viaduct and along the north bank. It immediately replaced Redheugh as the terminus for Newcastle and was on the western edge of Newcastle in undeveloped land high above the Tyne, three ...

More details
A view looking north taken in 2005 in the approximate locale of the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway's original terminus in Newcastle. Forth Junction ...
Ewan Crawford 05/05/2005

This is a 44 arch viaduct south west of Newcastle Central on the former approach from Carlisle via Scotswood Viaduct.
...

More details

This was a temporary terminus for the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway, the company's second terminus in Newcasle replacing Newcastle [Shot Tower] (opened 1839). It was opened in 1847 at the east end of the Forth Banks Viaduct which had been officially opened in 1846. The terminus, with temporary wooden buildings, was built at the west end of the Newcastle Central site, roughly the ...

More details




Newcastle Central Connection

Railcar 153304 in Regional Railways livery passing Newcastle West Junction, between Central Station and the King Edward Bridge, on 5 April 1997. ...
John Furnevel 05/04/1997

This magnificent through station is covered by three long curved trainsheds 60 ft wide designed by architect John Dobson with subsequent additional coverage. Dobson was responsible (with builder Richard Grainger) for the reconstruction and expansion of large areas of Newcastle in the 1830s and 40s. The station is on the East Coast Main Line and serves other lines such as those to ...

More details
A Class 158 with an arriving Northern service at Newcastle on 25 March 2019. ...
David Panton 25/03/2019
A TPE service for Liverpool Lime Street prepares to depart Newcastle's Platform 9 on 25 March. ...
David Panton 25/03/2019
185105 to Manchester Airport waiting to depart from Newcastle station on 15th June 2018. ...
David Bosher 15/06/2018
Platform scene at the east end of Newcastle Central in the summer of 1962. In the foreground is Gresley A3 Pacific no 60111 Enterprise, while ...
K A Gray 23/06/1962




Forth Banks Goods

Railway Terrace on the south side of the line, in a view looking east. ...
Ewan Crawford 06/12/2001

All that remains of the massive Forth Banks goods yard; Forth Banks workshops. Newcastle Central behind. ...
Ewan Crawford //




Carlisle Canal Extension

'Green at last...' Northbound coal empties off the Settle & Carlisle line finally get the clear after a lengthy hold up at Petteril Bridge ...
John Furnevel 26/02/2007
The RCTS (West Riding Branch) Borders Rail Tour from Leeds City stopped short of Petteril Bridge Junction, Carlisle, on 9 July 1961. Stanier ...
K A Gray 09/07/1961

Looking west at London Road Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Voyager meets Pendolino on the WCML just south of Carlisle station. Below are the goods lines and to the right is the route from London Road Jct into ...
John Furnevel 18/04/2007
Looking east at London Road Junction in April 2006. The line from Upperby still comes in from the right just before the road bridge although the ...
John Furnevel 12/04/2006
A wet Friday afternoon in July 1969 at London Road Junction, Carlisle, where the N&C and S&C lines leave the city. An eastbound freight arriving from ...
John Furnevel 04/07/1969

Bog Junction looking west to Rome Street Junction in 1998. Note the protective buffer on the westbound line, but no buffer needed on the eastbound. ...
Ewan Crawford //1998

Scene on the former Carlisle goods lines in the spring of 2003 looking north west from Rome Street towards the site of Dentonholme South Junction. By ...
John Furnevel 25/05/2003
The gradually changing scene at Rome Street Junction. View south from Rome Street Bridge in June 2004, with fence posts having appeared on the ...
John Furnevel 04/06/2004
Abandoned track awaiting removal at Rome Street Junction, Carlisle, on 18 May 1989, looking south from Rome Street towards the bridge carrying Currock ...
John Furnevel 18/05/1989
View south from Rome Street bridge, Carlisle, in September 2003. with the trackbed still more or less intact, approximately 20 years after closure of ...
John Furnevel 02/09/2003



Originally the canal basin in Carlisle, this became the main goods yard of the North British Railway in Carlisle and an interchange point with the North Eastern Railway.
...

More details




Wylam Iron Works Tramway

This is a two platform station with staggered platforms on either side of a level crossing. The station has an old station building, fine gantry signal box over the line to the west of the level crossing and NER footbridge over the line to the east of the crossing. The eastbound platform is to the west of the crossing and westbound to the east. The station building, partly of two storeys and in ...

More details
Wylam's signalbox and station viewed from a 125. ECML diversions via Carlisle today. ...
John Yellowlees 17/09/2016
The notable signal box at Wylam on the morning of 7 May 2006. Photographed from the station footbridge looking west towards Hexham. ...
John Furnevel 07/05/2006
Ballast machine running east through Wylam station on 7 August 2012 heading towards Newcastle. ...
John Steven 07/08/2012
Whiling away the long dark hours at Wylam box. ...
Ewan Crawford 29/02/2004