Haydon Bridge (1838-)
Opened on the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway.
This is a two platform station. There is a car park on the south side. To the west is a level crossing and a signal box, on the north side of the line and east of the crossing.
The main station building was on the westbound platform, now the site of the car park. The goods yard, the site of the original temporary station, was to the south of the station, approached from the east. This served the local gas works. The site is now housing.
The signal box is stone built, with a large glazed window overlooking the level crossing.
A brick built two storey railway building which stood to the east of the station building remains standing.
To the east, where the goods lines joined the railway, the line was quadrupled for a short length. This has reverted to double track. A siding on the south side survives, out of use, as a refuge siding.
To the west, on the south side, was a siding for an iron foundry.
Haydon Bridge [1st]
Bishopside Halt Milk Platform
Other railway and industry locations
Langley Lead Works
Glen due Quarry
Fourstones Colliery and Lime Works
Howford Brick and Tile Works
Acomb Colliery Junction [2nd]
Acomb Colliery Junction [1st]
Allen Smelting Mill
Tyne Viaduct [Border Counties]
Border Counties Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A History of North Eastern Railway Architecture: A Mature Art v. 2
A History of North Eastern Railway Architecture: Pioneers v. 1
A History of the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway, 1824 - 1870: The First Line Across Britain
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North-east v. 4 (A regional history of the railways of Great Britain)
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Newcastle (Rail Centres)
North Eastern Railway: Historical Maps