Scotswood Viaduct (1839-1982)
Opened on the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway.
This is a disused double track girder viaduct over the River Tyne in the west of Newcastle. It was an important part of the line from Newcastle Central to Carlisle.
The original bridge had eleven timber sections from stone abutments. This bridge was accidentally destroyed in 1860.
Its replacement, the present bridge, was completed in 1868. This has five spans and a total length of 700ft.
The bridge was closed in 1982 and trains diverted via Dunston. It still stands.
When opened the line via Dunston did not exist and the incline at Redheugh was an unsuitable approach to the High Level Bridge. The newer lines allowed closure of the bridge.
Newcastle [Shot Tower]
Other railway and industry locations
Scotswood Bridge Junction
Blaydon South Junction
Consett Branch Junction
Blaydon Main Junction
Swalwell North Junction
Blaydon East Junction
Tyne Iron Works
Axwell Park Colliery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A History of North Eastern Railway Architecture: A Mature Art v. 2
A History of North Eastern Railway Architecture: Pioneers v. 1
A History of the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway, 1824 - 1870: The First Line Across Britain
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North-east v. 4 (A regional history of the railways of Great Britain)
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Newcastle (Rail Centres)
North Eastern Railway: Historical Maps