Forth Banks Viaduct

Location type

Bridge

Name and dates

Forth Banks Viaduct (1846-)

Opened on the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway.

Description

This is a 44 arch viaduct south west of Newcastle Central on the former approach from Carlisle via Scotswood Viaduct.

It opened on the 6th of November 1846, extending the line from Newcastle [Shot Tower] to the temporary Newcastle [Forth] in anticipation of the opening of Newcastle Central.

The easternmost part of the viaduct was lost when the King Edward Bridge opened in 1906 and a new junction (Newcastle West Junction) formed at the west end of Newcastle Central.

Tags

Viaduct

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map

Books


A History of North Eastern Railway Architecture: A Mature Art v. 2

A History of North Eastern Railway Architecture: Pioneers v. 1

A History of the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway, 1824 - 1870: The First Line Across Britain

A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North-east v. 4 (A regional history of the railways of Great Britain)

An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways

Newcastle (Rail Centres)

North Eastern Railway: Historical Maps