This is a two platform station. The main station building is on the northbound platform. This building, by William Tite, is in Tudor style, with crow-stepped gables and remains standing. The central part is two storey and attic and side wings single storey. The platforms were canopied. A modern, somewhat grim, canopy runs for part of the length of the main building.
A large combined footbridge and lift crosses between the platforms. Functional in appearance this structure has saved southbound passengers needing assistance from the extra journey south to Carlisle to catch the next train north.
There is a loop on the eastern side of the station, passing the platforms, which may be used by up (southbound) passenger trains. There is an equivalent loop to the south of the station on the down (northbound) line. Both loops have sidings to the south of the station, those on the up line being accessed from the south and that on the down line accessible from the north.
The original station had two platforms and two tracks. There were sidings to the north and south of the platforms and a goods yard to the south of the station on the west side of the line accessed from the south.
Around the time of the opening of the Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway in 1863 the station was greatly expanded. A trainshed was added to the north of the main station building which covered bay platforms for the branch line. A locomotive shed, Lockerbie Shed, was added to the east side of the station and the up loop line.
There were two signal boxes before 1897, a north box in the 'V' of the junction and a south box just south of the Bridge Street overbridge on the east side. The south box was replaced in 1892. In 1897 looped sidings were added on either side of the line south of the overbridge and a new south box built at the south end of these on the east side (the existing south box became 'Lockerbie Station'). The signalling was updated in 1935 with the north and south boxes closing and the concentration of signalling in the remaining box.
The trainshed survived the closure of the branch to passengers in 1952 (completely in 1966) but was to be demolished in 1972.
| Lockerbie Shed|
Water of Milk Viaduct
Kirtlebridge Brick Works Signal Box
Ironhirst Signal Box
Thomas Carlyle's Birthplace
Mossfoot Ammunition Depot
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)
Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)
Caledonian Railway Carriages
Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style
Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock
Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press
Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Callander & Oban Railway Through Time
Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)
Signalling the Caledonian Railway
The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s
The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway
Vanished Railways of West Lothian