Opened on the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway.
Open on the G and SW Main Line.
This is a two platform station in the south of Annan. The main station building is on the eastbound platform (the town side of the station). The building has a long glazed canopy. The westbound platform waiting room has not survived.
The goods yard was on both side of the line. The yard with a shed was to the north, approached from the west. Another yard, with a loop off the main line which ran round the south side of the westbound platform, was to the south and was accessed from the east. Of this a single siding, the west end of the loop, remains.
The original yard, somewhat smaller, had turnplates and the goods loop was a later addition.
The station remains open. The station building is now a pub called The Station House .
To the east was Solway Junction, for the line to the Solway Viaduct, and to the west is Annan Viaduct.
The line was singled from the east end of the station to Gretna Junction in 1975 and was redoubled in 2008 due to increased imported coal traffic from Hunterston High Level Sidings for power stations in the English Midlands, (which has since largely ceased). The signal box (dating from 1876 and 'B' listed), at the west end of the station, remains open. The box is a curiosity as the line both east (to beyond the former Solway Junction) and west (to beyond Annan Viaduct) is controlled from Dumfries.
There were MOD sidings to both east and west. To the east is Eastriggs MOD and to the west was Annan Powfoot Siding.
New Dykes Brow
Other railway and industry locations
Newbie Brick and Tile Works
Cochran^s Boiler Works
Annan Powfoot Siding
Eastriggs Ground Frame
Chapelcross Power Station
Kelhead Lime Works
Muirhouse Farm Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|