Gretna Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Gretna Junction (1848-)

Opened on the Caledonian Railway.

Opened on the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway.


Description

This junction was just to the north of the former Gretna [CR] station. The junction is now single lead junction for the route to Dumfries and double for the line north to Lockerbie. The Dumfries route doubles after leading the junction.

This was formerly a conventional double track junction. The signal box was located to the west of the point of divergence.

There was a small goods yard on the west side of the junction, accessed by reversal from the Dumfries line.


Tags

Junction