A very short lived station existed at Port Carlisle Junction from 1863 to 1864, possibly even from 1862 when the Waverley Route opened.
The station was located at Canal Junction where the Waverley Route from Hawick [2nd] met the existing line from Silloth and Port Carlisle.
Photographic evidence shows that a platform existed on the Waverley Route between Canal Junction and the turn out to Canal Shed in 1908. The platform first appears on Ordnance Survey maps in 1925. Whether this is the original station is difficult to say. This platform, on the northbound line only, was used in connection with the shed. Opposite the platform by the southbound line, were sidings, served from Canal Junction. The platform was a short distance from Canal Junction signal box, just to the south.
The platform still exists, very overgrown.
London Road [Carlisle]
| Canal Junction [Carlisle]|
Willowholme Power Station
Carlisle Canal Shed
Canal Goods [Carlisle]
Carr's Biscuits Factory
Port Carlisle Branch Junction
Eden Viaduct [Etterby]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|06/01/1969||Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway
Marquis of Lothians Waggonway
Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)
Border Union Railway (North British Railway)
Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company|
Edinburgh (Portobello East Junction) to Hawick [2nd] to Carlisle (Port Carlisle Junction) closed to passengers. Newtongrange [1st], Gorebridge, Tynehead, Heriot, Fountainhall, Stow, Galashiels [1st], Melrose, St Boswells, Hassendean, Hawick [2nd], Stobs, Shankend, Riccarton Junction, Steele Road, Newcastleton stations closed.
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways