Hawick [2nd]

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Hawick [2nd] (1862-1969)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.

Opened on the Border Union Railway (North British Railway).

Description

This station is closed. The station was opened to the immediate north of the Teviot Viaduct along which its platforms extended.

It replaced Hawick [1st] to the north west as the line was not able to be extended from the former terminus.

The main station building, of two storeys, was on the northbound platform. A smaller building of one storey was on the southbound platform. At the north end, on the northbound platform, was a water tank and Hawick South Signal Box. The platforms were linked by hoists at the north end and a subway. The platforms were canopied. In addition to the two main platforms there was a short dock at the north end of the northbound platform.

North of the station, between Hawick South Signal Box and Hawick North Signal Box were loops on either side of the double track. To the north of this was the turntable, relocated from Hawick Shed when the line was extended, and approached from the west. To the south was yard, an enlargement of an original much smaller yard, which grew to six dead end sidings approached from the west (with a headshunt to the west below the east side of the station). To the south of this again was a siding which ran east into Hawick Gas Works and, by reversal, approached Riversdale Mills and Eastfield Mills.

On the south bank of the River Teviot a large Auction Mart was to develop on the east side of the railway.

The signal box was modernised to see over the baggage bridge. It became a ground frame with closure to passengers, closing shortly afterwards.

After closure of the line the station in 1969, locomotive shed, goods yard, sidings and viaduct were demolished. Track survived until around 1971 and the structures remained intact until 1974.


Remains


The station site is now the Teviotdale Leisure Centre .

A solitary loading bank remains in the north of the Hawick [1st] station site. The foundations of the viaduct can be seen at low water.

The trackbed, going north, is the 'Waverley Walk'.

Buildings survive to the south at the former Loch Park Siding workshops site.

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map



Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways

Border Country Branch Line Album

Border Railway Portfolio

Borders Railway Rambles

Carlisle to Hawick: The Waverley Route (Scml)

Forgotten Railways: Scotland

Hawick 1897: Roxburghshire Sheet 25.07 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Roxburghshire)

Last Years of the Waverley Route

North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)

North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)

Railways Of Scotland 2: The Waverley Route DVD - Cinerail

The North British Railway a History

The Waverley Route Through Time

The Waverley Route: The District Controller's View 'Edinburgh (Waverley) - Carlisle Via Hawick'

Waverley Route: The battle for the Borders Railway

Waverley Route: The Life, Death and Rebirth of the Borders Railway

Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route