Hawick [1st]

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Hawick [1st] (1849-1862)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

When built, this terminus was opened next to the north bridge over the River Teviot, a little way from the town centre.

There was a three road passenger trainshed on Dovemount Place, a two road goods shed to the south of that, and a small fan of goods sidings south again. To the north of the passenger station was Hawick Shed.

Across Dovemount Place and Wilton Place was the Railway Hotel. Much of the land by the station was not yet developed.

The station closed in 1862 when it was replaced by Hawick [2nd].

The passenger trainshed was replaced by a goods shed - possibly with some of the building in common as it had a similar floor plan and an L shaped portion to the north also existed on the later goods shed. The new goods shed had two lines and platforms under the covered roof on either side.

The sidings by the original goods shed became the road approach to the second station and were replaced by new sidings to the north of the locomotive shed. The original goods shed was removed.

Local

Teviotdale Leisure Centre


Tags

Station terminus

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map