Hawick Shed

Location type

Loco shed


Name and dates

Hawick Shed (1849-1966)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).


Description

Hawick Shed opened with the line from Edinburgh. It remained on the same site until closure. It was to the immediate north of Hawick [1st] station, the original terminus, which was to become the site of the goods shed when the line was extended south through Hawick [2nd] in 1862. Further goods facilities opened to the north of the shed, resulting it its being in the middle of a goods yard. (These replaced sidings lost in the opening of the new station.)

The shed was approached from the north east. Originally it was approached via a turntable, relocated much further north east with the extension of the line. It was a two road shed with a large water tank at the south west end. In 1955 the shed was re-roofed at the north east end entry rebuilt with a girder replacing the double arches.

British Railways assigned the code 64G.

The shed closed in 1966, locomotives being assigned to St Margarets Shed. Hawick station remained a signing on point.

The site is now part of the Teviotdale Leisure Centre.

Local

Teviotdale Leisure Centre

01/12/2018

Tags

Shed

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map