St Margarets Shed

Location type

Loco shed


Name and dates

St Margarets Shed

Opened on the North British Railway.


Description

This shed was located east of Edinburgh Waverley just west of Piershill Junction. It was on both side of the East Coast Main Line. There was a roundhouse and single ended shed to the north and another single ended shed to the south. Approach was from the west, with reversal to the roundhouse. There was a signal box, 'St Margarets', at the west end of the site which opened in 1868.

In early days the layout was a six road carriage shed south of the line and some loops, approached from the west, the roundhouse to the north, approached from the east. Alongside Clockmill Road to the north were (from west to east): truck building workshop, stores, offices, smith's workshop, turner's workshop, carriage building and tinsmith's workshop, wheelwright's workshop, joiners and painters workshop, timber yard.

With the carriage shed moved out to Craigentinny Carriage Sidings the southern part of the site also became a shed.

British Railways assigned the code 64A and sub sheds Dunbar Shed, Galashiels Shed, Hardengreen Shed, Leith Central Shed, Longniddry Shed, North Berwick Shed, Peebles Shed, Penicuik Shed, Polton Shed, Seafield Shed [CR] and South Leith Shed.

The shed closed in 1967 and the 64A code applied to Millerhill MPD. The box closed in 1970.

The sites have been cleared becoming Meadowbank House, and other units, to the south and part of the Meadowbank Stadium to the north.

08/10/2019

Tags

Shed

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map