This line is closed. The railway formed an integral part of what became known as the Waverley Route which ran between Edinburgh Waverley and Carlisle. Its closure was one of the first mainline railway closures in Britain. Occasionally possibilities of its re-opening are discussed, sometimes associated with timber extraction at Kielder. In the meantime preservation societies have laid track and started reinstating the line between Whitrope Tunnel and Riccarton Junction.
Long distance trains using the line ran between Edinburgh Waverley and Carlisle (Citadel) many continuing south by the Settle and Carlisle Line (Midland Railway) and Midland Railway route to London St. Pancras.
The line had a distinctive style of looped goods yard - often loop off one of the lines almost all the sidings would be looped.
|01/07/1862||[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]|
Hawick [1st] closed to passengers on opening of the [Border Union Railway (North British Railway)].
|/ /1866||Settle and Carlisle Line (Midland Railway)|
Bill for the line presented with support from the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, Glasgow and South Western Railway and the North British Railway (who did not have a partner other than the North Eastern Railway route to Newcastle Central for taking traffic from the Border Union Railway (North British Railway) (Waverley Route) at Carlisle).
These locations are along the line.
This station is closed. The station was opened to the immediate north of the Teviot Viaduct along which its platforms extended.
Workshops opened at Loch Park in 1921 to replace the workshops at Riccarton Junction. The works closed in the mid 1960s, before the line closed in 1969.
This six arch double track viaduct, also known as Lynnwood Viaduct, was south of Hawick [2nd].
This station was a large terminus with four platforms serving a military training and prisoners of war facility (Stobs Military Camp) near Stobs. There were two island platforms of two faces and a loop for the centre two platform faces. Also known as Stobs Camp Siding.
This was a two platform station just to the south of Barns Viaduct. It had a cattle dock on the west side at the north end of the station, approached from the north.
This is an impressive disused double track fifteen arch viaduct to the north of the former Shankend station. The viaduct is 597 ft long and 60 ft high.
This was a two platform station at the south end of the Shankend Viaduct. It had three looped sidings on its east side, approached from the south end of the station where the signal box was located. The two storey station building, with single storey ticket office at the north end, was on the southbound platform.
This is a disused twin track tunnel, 1208 yards long. It is the 6th longest railway tunnel in Scotland. It is located between the former Shankend and Riccarton Junction stations on the closed Waverley Route.
This is a new station opened on a section of preserved line.
This was an important location in Scottish railway history. This was a large station, junction, locomotive shed, workshops, yard and railway owned village all built at a remote location in the Scottish Borders with no road access. It is a highly evocative location built on the famous former Waverley Route. Here the double track mainline from Edinburgh and Hawick, to the north, split to run ...More details
This was a two platform station on the 'The Steele', the southern slopes of Arnton Fell. The small village here was entirely associated with the station. The platforms were in brick with the main station building on the northbound platform.
This was a two platform station on the west side of Newcastleton. The main station building, of a single storey, was on the southbound platform.
This was a two platform with timber platforms, small timber shelters and a level crossing at the north end. The single storey station house and offices were on the east side of the station, stone built. Not far to the north was the official Scotland/England Border of the line (two others existed south of Riddings Junction close to Liddel Strength).
Weekend only service on a Saturday, only a southbound train. Some timetables still had the halt after 1873 until the 1880s.
The dates are assumed. The Railway Clearing House name is Peter's Crook, the name of a farm just to the south west. This quarry, which might be described as Watleyhirst Quarry, was served by a looped siding off the Waverley Route. The loop was on the west side of the line. To the north it connected to the northbound line and to the south to the southbound line. There was a tramway to the quarry, ...More details
This was a two platform station with a two storey station building on the southbound platform, signal box at the north end of the same platform and a goods yard on the east side, approached from the north.
This was the junction between the Waverley Route and the branch to Langholm. It was a three platform station, two main line platforms and the main northbound was an island whose second face, on west side of the station, served the branch.
This was a two platform station with a minor level crossing at the north end and a goods yard on the west side, approached from the south. The main station building was on the northbound platform with a small shelter on the southbound.
This was a two platform station. The two storey main station building was on the southbound platform. To the immediate north of this was a staff bothy and a large water tank. To the south, over a level crossing, was Longtown Branch Junction where the routes to Carlisle and Gretna [NBR] divided. To the north was a goods yard on the east side and locomotive shed on the west side.
This was a two platform station just west of the small village of Westlinton in Cumbria, England. There was a level crossing to the south and a goods yard to the north on the east side of the line.
This was a two platform station. There was a goods yard to the north, on the east side of the line. The main station building was on the southbound platform.
This single ended shed was in the 'V' of the junction between the Border Union Railway and the Silloth branch. It was served from the east, from Canal Junction, splitting off the Border Union just after the junction.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Border Country Branch Line Album
Border Railway Portfolio
Borders Railway Rambles
Carlisle to Hawick: The Waverley Route (Scml)
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Hawick 1897: Roxburghshire Sheet 25.07 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Roxburghshire)
Last Years of the Waverley Route
North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)
North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)
Railways Of Scotland 2: The Waverley Route DVD - Cinerail
The North British Railway a History
The Waverley Route Through Time
The Waverley Route: The District Controller's View 'Edinburgh (Waverley) - Carlisle Via Hawick'
Waverley Route: The battle for the Borders Railway
Waverley Route: The Life, Death and Rebirth of the Borders Railway
Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route