Steele Road

Location type


Name and dates

Steele Road (1862-1969)

Opened on the Border Union Railway (North British Railway).


This was a two platform station on the 'The Steele', the southern slopes of Arnton Fell. The small village here was entirely associated with the station. The platforms were in brick with the main station building on the northbound platform.

There was a looped goods siding on the east side, accessed from the south. The signal box was at the south end of the northbound platform. The box was replaced in 1914, after a fire, and was closed in 1964.

The station building is now a house. Two rows of railway cottages are to the west, still in use. Much of the platforms remain.

When first opened the line was single track here, doubled in 1863.

The original course of Steele Road was severed by the building of the line, a new alignment being built to the north passing under the line. The severed parts of the road provided road access to the main building and goods yard.



External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67